Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Thomas Hemmer <th...@go-engineering.de> on 2008/02/04 11:41:38 UTC

"Checksum mismatch while reading representation"

Hi folks,

is there any way to recover from "Checksum mismatch while reading representation" within a known revision?
Since a workmate had checked in rev. 763 last Friday we are no more able to checkout/export the affected directory due to the above error.
Unfortunately the crash occured after several other commits since the Thursday backup.
As far as I understand there is a difference between the MD5 digest which svnserve computed during checkin against the digest computed from the stored data while trying to checkout.
Given that, I wondered if it were possible to either 1. "fake" the digest in order to at least be able to checkout rev. 763 and commit the correct contents again or 2. patch the revision file such that it reflects the correct contents (which in turn would yield the stored digest).
svnadmin does not seem to be able to do the trick.

Hope this will not turn out to be an RTFM question :-)

TIA and best regards,

Thomas

GO Engineering GmbH - Stolzenbergstr. 13/IV - 76532 Baden-Baden
Geschäftsführer:
Helmut Gerstner, Dipl.-Ing. (FH)
Ralf Wörner, Dipl.-Ing. (FH)
Registergericht: Mannheim HRB 201811

Re: "Checksum mismatch while reading representation"

Posted by Pekka Niiranen <pe...@pp5.inet.fi>.
Thomas Hemmer wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> is there any way to recover from "Checksum mismatch while reading
> representation" within a known revision?
> Since a workmate had checked in rev. 763 last Friday we are no more able
> to checkout/export the affected directory due to the above error.
> Unfortunately the crash occured after several other commits since the
> Thursday backup.
> As far as I understand there is a difference between the MD5 digest
> which svnserve computed during checkin against the digest computed from
> the stored data while trying to checkout.
> Given that, I wondered if it were possible to either 1. "fake" the
> digest in order to at least be able to checkout rev. 763 and commit the
> correct contents again or 2. patch the revision file such that it

You could try to set all numbers in MD5 to zeros

Posted by Pekka Niiranen <pe...@pp5.inet.fi>.
Hi everybody,

Firstly, I used "fsfsverify.py" (I am willing to propose medal for the
author..)
to analyse failed revision records.

http://www.szakmeister.net/blog/fsfsverify/

However, I had to enclose line:

(rev, offset, length, size, digest) = value.split(' ')

into "try-except" -structure

try:
(rev, offset, length, size, digest) = value.split(' ')
except:
print value
sys.exit()

because in some files the space delimiter had been replaced with "
-sign. WTF...

Secondly, the "fsfsverify.py" could not locate all errors so I searched
the signaled error message
from "fs_fs.c" in Subversion sources. Then I added printf -clauses into
C-code and recompiled Subversion
in order to actually see the offending line in data. I think Subversion
should be modified to always
print out the offending data with the error messages in "fs_fs.c".

str = apr_strtok(NULL, " ", &last_str);
if (str == NULL)
return svn_error_create(SVN_ERR_FS_CORRUPT, NULL,
_("Malformed text rep offset line in node-rev"));
/* OK, we print the error message, but why not print the contents of
variable &last_str too? /pekka */

I had run "svnadmin verify" with v1.4.3 before dumping the FSFS
repository. When I created Berkeley DB
and tried to import dump with v1.4.5 into it I could not. Then I created
FSFS database and I got
checksum errors in revisions done in year 2005! This in my opinion rules
out network errors.
When analysing MD5s I noticed that different files in the same revision
had identical checksums!

I am running SVN in SUSE 8.x and have compiled it always from the sources.
I compile Apache using arp -libraries distributed with SVN and I am
using prefork MPM.
The database is accessed using SSL and, now that I think of it, before I
compiled v1.4.6
I also updated to the latest OpenSSL library; maybe it is related...

-pekka-

Posted by Ashwin Basagouda Patil <as...@robosoftin.com>.
This is one more error message is added now. This I got when I
ran "svnadmin verify" command for the bellow error reported by the client.

svnadmin(5347) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=3743735808) failed (error
code=3)
svnadmin(5347) malloc: *** error: can't allocate region
svnadmin(5347) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
Abort trap

Ashwin.

Posted by Ashwin Basagouda Patil <as...@robosoftin.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Pekka Niiranen <pe...@pp5.inet.fi>.
Hi,

Posted by Pekka Niiranen <pe...@pp5.inet.fi>.
Hi,

Posted by Thomas Hemmer <th...@go-engineering.de>.
Hmmmm, why not simply give it a try?

Posted by eg <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by eg <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pekka Niiranen <pe...@pp5.inet.fi>.

Posted by Pekka Niiranen <pe...@pp5.inet.fi>.

Posted by Thomas Hemmer <th...@go-engineering.de>.
After applying the checksum hack, "svnadmin verify" runs through without
any complaints.

Best regards,

Thomas

Posted by eg <eg...@gmail.com>.