Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Garret Wilson <ga...@globalmentor.com> on 2003/12/29 18:40:34 UTC

Error 139 (was: in-tree Berkeley DB)

Just when I thought I was going to make it...

During make install, everything seems to go OK except for the last line:

chmod 755 /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_authz_svn.so
[activating module `authz_svn' in /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf]
subversion/svnversion/svnversion . /repos/svn/trunk >
/usr/local/include/subversion-1/svn-revision.txt
make: *** [revision-install] Error 139

What does that mean? Was installation successful or no?

Garret

Re: Error 139 and svn core dump

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 02:49:15PM -0800, Garret Wilson wrote:
> ...and even worse it gets. See below.
>
> Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> >On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 15:28, Garret Wilson wrote:
> >
> >>This gets even worse:
> >>
> >>I downloaded a brand new 0.35.1 tarball, and ran make (but not make
> >>install). There were no errors. subversion/clients/cmdline/svn then gives:
> >>
> >>Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> >
> >It sounds like you either have libc problems, or that (somehow) your svn
> >binary linked against older libsvn_* libraries in your system.  Is that
> >possible?  Look at 'ldd' output.  Purge your system of old libraries.
>
> I removed all the svn libraries, and then made a client-only svn from
> the 0.32.1 tarball. Same core dump. Now I *know* something is horribly
> wrong, because 0.32.1 is the version I was running nicely before this
> whole ordeal started.

Just wondering: where did you get your APR from?  When I upgraded APR
recently, I started getting bizarre coredumps until I did a complete
rebuild of APR.

--ben

Re: Error 139 and svn core dump

Posted by Garret Wilson <ga...@globalmentor.com>.

Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 15:28, Garret Wilson wrote:
>
>>This gets even worse:
>>
>>I downloaded a brand new 0.35.1 tarball, and ran make (but not make
>>install). There were no errors. subversion/clients/cmdline/svn then gives:
>>
>>Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> It sounds like you either have libc problems, or that (somehow) your svn
> binary linked against older libsvn_* libraries in your system.  Is that
> possible?  Look at 'ldd' output.  Purge your system of old libraries.

I removed all the svn libraries, and then made a client-only svn from
the 0.32.1 tarball. Same core dump. Now I *know* something is horribly
wrong, because 0.32.1 is the version I was running nicely before this
whole ordeal started.

With a client-only 0.32.1, the new Berkeley DB shouldn't be an issue. As
this is straight from the tarball, the new neon shouldn't be an issue,
either. That leaves only two things that I've changed: Python and gcc.

The latest subversion wouldn't build with the pre-2.0 Python I had been
using on all the other revisions, so I had to upgrade. Problem is, Red
Hat 7.0 has a gcc bug that won't let Python 2.0 build, so I had to
upgrade gcc.

I originally had some old glibc RPM that came with Red Hat 7.0---maybe
2.1.9x. At some point before today, I had downloaded, built, and
installed glibc 2.3.2 from source. This apparently didn't change the gcc
header file needed by Python to correctly compile (see LONG_BIT
definition issue at
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/Python20FrequentlyAskedQuestions ).

I therefore upgraded Red Hat glibc by using:

rpm -Uvh glibc-2.2.4-18.7.0.9.i686.rpm
glibc-common-2.2.4-18.7.0.9.i386.rpm glibc-devel-2.2.4-18.7.0.9.i386.rpm

This upgrade seemed to go fine. I don't know what this did to the
glibc-2.3.2 I had installed from the source, however.

Everything builds fine, with no errors. I still get core dumps. Any,
*any* help will be extremely appreciated.

Garret

Re: Error 139 and svn core dump (solved)

Posted by Garret Wilson <ga...@globalmentor.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> It sounds like you either have libc problems, or that (somehow) your svn
> binary linked against older libsvn_* libraries in your system.  Is that
> possible?  Look at 'ldd' output.  Purge your system of old libraries.

Thank you, everyone, for your input on my seemingly endless stream of
problems. I never want to go through this again.

After I tried to recompile and reinstall glibc (which I had successfully
done before), I was told I couldn't because I had an old gcc. Yep, my
gcc was 2.96. I downloaded, compiled, and installed gcc 3.3.2, and svn
worked! I'm now happily running 0.35.1 on client and server.

Questions still linger in my mind:

* What's the relationship between gcc and glibc?
* Why did gcc work before for the other svn versions?
* Why does
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/Python20FrequentlyAskedQuestions
seem to indicate that gcc will be updated by updating glibc?
* Why did my updating glibc, which fixed the problem for compiling
Python 2 on Red Hat 7, cause problems with gcc?

I can only assume that updating glibc via RPM to fix the Python problem
somehow *reverted* my gcc to an old version that was buggy and created a
buggy svn. (I don't know why Python compiled correctly, though. I guess
I should go back and recompile it just in case.)

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Garret Wilson <ga...@globalmentor.com>.
This gets even worse:

I downloaded a brand new 0.35.1 tarball, and ran make (but not make
install). There were no errors. subversion/clients/cmdline/svn then gives:

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Where can I go from here? Basically, my entire svn configuration is
hosed. I guess I'll have to downgrade tarball versions until I can find
something that works.

I'm running Red Hat 7.0.

Garret

P.S. Note that I a lot of the following warning:

libtool: link: warning: library `/usr/lib/libgdbm.la' was moved.

I have no idea what causes this, but I have always received this warning
on previous revisions, and svn would run just fine.

Posted by Garret Wilson <ga...@globalmentor.com>.