Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Neal Richter <nr...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/31 03:11:52 UTC

Errors pushing to output S3

Below is the output of Hive for an INSERT-SELECT from one 'EXTERNAL' table
to another.  This is running in EC2 and the external tables have partitions
registered as path-keys in S3.   The final upload of data to S3 fails.  This
does not always happen, yet when it does the only option seems to be to
re-run the job.

Is there another way?  Perhaps a way to tell hive to retry data-uploads to
S3 if a failure occurs? - Neal

[snip]
 map = 100%,  reduce =52%
 map = 100%,  reduce =88%
 map = 100%,  reduce =93%
 map = 100%,  reduce =100%
 map = 100%,  reduce =49%
 map = 100%,  reduce =100%
 map = 100%,  reduce =45%
 map = 100%,  reduce =86%
 map = 100%,  reduce =100%
 map = 100%,  reduce =67%
 map = 100%,  reduce =12%
 map = 100%,  reduce =14%
 map = 100%,  reduce =0%
 map = 100%,  reduce =17%
 map = 100%,  reduce =0%
 map = 100%,  reduce =45%
Ended Job = job_200907281406_0315
Job Commit failed with exception
'org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException(org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3.S3Exception:
org.jets3t.service.S3ServiceException: Encountered too many S3 Internal
Server errors (6), aborting request.)'
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.ExecDriver

Re: Errors pushing to output S3

Posted by Neal Richter <nr...@gmail.com>.
Not sure, I will look into it.

My prediction is that we go with HDFS rather than S3 linked destination
tables soon anyway.  In the mean time we're going to instrument the code to
just retry failed queries.

- Neal

Posted by Zheng Shao <zs...@gmail.com>.
Hi Neal,