Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2013/02/05 21:03:56 UTC

[ACS41] Can folks please take responsibility for updating their own Jira tickets?

Hi all,

It's frustrating that folks aren't maintaining reasonable status /
updates for tickets assigned to themselves.  Sure, I'll keep looking
through them and asking questions as I go...  but wouldn't it be
easier if you all just did it for the ones that you own?  A little bit
of personal ownership and responsibility goes a long way to helping us
all manage the releases.

Also - I'm not CC'ing anyone in particular here, because there are
many people that need to do this.  Spending the time to pull together
that list is about the same as spending the time actually reviewing
status on everything.  Others (Sudhap specifically) have asked for
this same thing that I am, and I'm frankly at a loss for how to get
everyone's attention on this.

If you have jira records assigned to you, that are currently set for
4.1.0, can you please either:

1 - Update with the master branch commit -sh and confirm that it made
it into the 4.1 branch?

or

2 - Update the fix version to be something other than 4.1.0?  Move the
child doc and QA (and other) tasks as well please!  Also, the wiki
requirement and design pages need to be moved to the correct parent
page as well.

-chip

RE: [ACS41] Can folks please take responsibility for updating their own Jira tickets?

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Jira has a reminder plugin that will annoy (remind) the assignee if he has not updated the ticket.

I don't know if apache has it enabled, if not, may be we can look into making a crawler that goes out and look for tickets that have not been updated for "x" number of days - and if found, send a reminder.

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

> I think in Jira the coupling is relatively loose, I was talking more
> about sub-tasks as a concept. If I had a task to bring a birthday cake
> to your party, and I had sub tasks of 'baking the cake', 'decorating
> the cake', and 'delivering the cake', then the task wouldn't be
> completed properly until I had done all three. We have a cake, the
> code has been committed, but it's not decorated. We could bring it to
> the party, but it wouldn't be pretty. Perhaps there should have been a
> sub-task to code/commit the solution, although I'm not sure how
> granular we want to get.

If every example can be as vividly illustrated as this, it would solve lots of communication problems.  :)

I wonder what analogy will you give to having a subtask to cherry-pick the fix to another release?

--Alex

Re: [ACS41] Can folks please take responsibility for updating their own Jira tickets?

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
I dont think one can call any ticket closed until its sub tasks are all
sorted. so +1 to that.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Well, for example, take

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Someone created sub-tickets for ours (QA, etc). It doesn't feel right
to close them until those pending subtasks are also completed. I made
a comment that the features were completed and merged, and assumed
that the owners of the sub tasks would update the ticket as well.

So perhaps at least some of it is just understanding how the flow is
supposed to work.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.