Posted to dev@kudu.apache.org by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org> on 2016/02/08 19:21:02 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Kudu (incubating) 0.7.0 RC1

Hi,

We're happy to announce the first release candidate for Apache Kudu
(incubating) 0.7.0.

The is a source-only release. The artifacts were staged here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/kudu/0.7.0-RC1/

It was built from this tag:
https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-kudu.git;a=commit;h=2e28d1aec47d86eba15b4ba3d8b40b34c410ca8a

The list of all issues fixed is found following this link
<https://issues.cloudera.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20Kudu%20AND%20status%20in%20
(Resolved)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%200.7.0%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20ASC>.

The release notes are found here (linking to github for prettier printing):
https://github.com/cloudera/kudu/blob/0.7.0-RC1/docs/release_notes.adoc#release-notes-specific-to-0-7-0

KEYS file:
http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/kudu/KEYS

I'd suggest going through the README, building Kudu, and running the unit
tests.

Please try the release and vote; vote will be open for at least 72 hours.

Thanks,

J-D

Re: [VOTE] Apache Kudu (incubating) 0.7.0 RC1

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
LICENSE and NOTICE files are quite often pointed out when doing release verification on general@incubator, so I would recommend fixing that even though that the linked [1] document contains “should” instead of “must”. We might be able to defend that, but it will most certainly lead to unnecessary discussions and delays.

ASLv2 have a special clause under “redistribution” section for NOTICE file [2] that requests derivative works to also include the relevant portions of our notice file. Hence having proper ASF copyright seems like a good idea.

Just my 2 cents :)

Jarcec

Links:
1: http://apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
2: http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html#redistribution

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.
I did the following:

Posted by Adar Dembo <ad...@cloudera.com>.
Good digging. Using that information, I was able to figure out why my build
of the 0.7.0 tarball passed and yours didn't: I had libgflags installed via
system package, and that's where glog was going to satisfy the dependency:
adar@adar-ThinkPad-T540p:~/Source/kudu/build/debug$ ldd
./bin/protoc-gen-insertions | grep gflags
libgflags.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgflags.so.2
(0x00007fbdb14a7000)

After I removed the package, protoc-gen-insertions failed the same way for
me as it did for you. I'm using gold too, though my toolchain is probably
newer than yours (gcc 5.2.1, binutils 2.25.1).

For the time being I've worked around this by not using gold.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Todd, mind filing a jira as a blocker for 0.8.0?

J-D

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.