Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com> on 2006/01/07 21:18:11 UTC

[codec] invalid source tarball on www.apache.org/dist

This file

http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons/codec/source/commons-codec-1.3-src.tar.gz

doesn't have the appropriate commons-codec-1.3/ directory in front of each
entry.  When you unpack it in a directory, it just throws the contents of the
source distro into the current directory.

So, to fix this, I propose re-releasing this one file.  I wasn't the release
manager for the 1.3 release, but I'd be happy enough to repackage just this
release from source, sign and seal it.

Does anyone have any objections to replacing the 1.3 source release with a file
that follows the convention?

Tim O'Brien
tobrien@discursive.com

Re: [codec] invalid source tarball on www.apache.org/dist

Posted by Tim OBrien <to...@discursive.com>.

--- Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/7/06, Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>
> wrote:
> > This file

http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons/codec/source/commons-codec-1.3-src.tar.gz

> > doesn't have the appropriate commons-codec-1.3/
> directory in front of each
> > entry.  When you unpack it in a directory, it just
> throws the contents of the
> > source distro into the current directory.
> >
> > So, to fix this, I propose re-releasing this one
> file.  I wasn't the release
> > manager for the 1.3 release, but I'd be happy
> enough to repackage just this
> > release from source, sign and seal it.
> >
> > Does anyone have any objections to replacing the
> 1.3 source release with a file
> > that follows the convention?
>
> My vote is to just repackage the existing tar.gz; or
> even better,
> unzip the .zip and tar.gz it. Basically to modify
> the package in situ
> and not to release from source.

Alright, it is done.  But, I didn't sign it.  I'll
ping Gary to resign that jar when he has a chance.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 20:18 +0000, Tim O'Brien wrote:
> This file
>
> http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons/codec/source/commons-codec-1.3-src.tar.gz
>
> doesn't have the appropriate commons-codec-1.3/ directory in front of each
> entry.  When you unpack it in a directory, it just throws the contents of the
> source distro into the current directory.
>
> So, to fix this, I propose re-releasing this one file.  I wasn't the release
> manager for the 1.3 release, but I'd be happy enough to repackage just this
> release from source, sign and seal it.
>
> Does anyone have any objections to replacing the 1.3 source release with a file
> that follows the convention?

making changes to existing releases without increasing version numbers
is usually frowned upon (but i won't -1). you may find yourself in
trouble with the release watchers if you do this without letting them
know first. may want to check on repo or infra whether this would be a
good idea.

- robert