Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2002/09/02 11:53:52 UTC

RE: Novel persistence approach and Cocoon

Robert Leftwich wrote:

> At 10:44 PM 30/08/2002, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> >I don't understand exactly what you mean - you could (easily) write
> >a transformer interacting with business objects managed by a
> >a prevalent system. For example for reading
> ><read businessObject="identifer for the object">
> >    <name>
> >    <street>
> ></read>
> >
> >This is interpreted by the transformer into something like:
> >   object o = getBusinessObject("identifier for the object">
> >   o.getName();
> >   o.getStreet();
> >And the results are inserted into the SAX stream.
> >
> >And the way back could look like this:
> ><write businessObject="identifer for the object">
> >    <name>some name</name>
> >    <street>and a street</street>
> ></write>
> >etc.
> >
> >Is this the way you mean?
>
> No, probably because I hadn't seen a tie-in at the transformer level to
> business objects before - I've only ever seen XSP used to access bo's and
> at this point I am staying away from XSP (but as I said my knowledge of
> Cocoon internals is minimal at this point in time).
> The main reason I hadn't thought along these lines is that I am taking a
> more document-centric rather than data-centric view and as such I want to
> persist things as xml documents rather than 1 or more bo's.
> Further to using the SourceWritingTransformer as a starting point, it
> appears to be a write-only solution, requiring a separate generator to do
> the reading. Maybe I am missing something important here but I
> think what I
> am looking for is a non-stream based read/write component that can act as
> both a generator and write-able transformer as does FileSource.
> Is there a
> sample of such a beast or am I on the wrong track ?

So you want something like this, I guess:

<map:generate src="bo://some_document_identifier"/>

for reading an XML document and you want to use the SourceWritingTransformer
to save XML back into your bo.
Is this what you are thinking of?

Of yes, the "only" thing you have to do is to write your own protocol
which is writeable. An example for this is the xmldb protocol which reads
XML documents from an XML database - ok the writing part is currently
missing.

HTH
Carsten

Re: Xopus2 has been open sourced

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.

Ivelin Ivanov wrote:

> Looks promising.
>
> Is there a more complex demo than the one in the download.

No, that's it.

> I would be interested to see line items, images, nested tables.

What do you mean by line items?

Do you mean drag and drop images?

As I know nested tables are possible (actually any nested content, such
as XHTML), but there is no such example yet.

BTW: they have setup a mailing list at Yahoo.

Michael

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
Looks promising.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.

Robert Koberg wrote:

> Hi Michael,
> <from-memory>
> What are your thoughts on Xopus? Did you just need any client editor and Xopus
> was the best out of the choice(s)? Or do you believe Xopus to be an excellent
> product?

Well, both I think. Xopus has a very nice "architecture". It's really
just W3C compliant XML, XSLT and XSD concerning what the CMS has to
deliver to the client.

But if everything goes fine, then the Biflux Editor will also be
open sourced this week, which has a different architecture, but has
very nice features as well.

> Have you compared it to the commercial version? Is it just 'less buggy' as they
> state or is there interesting functionality?

I guess you mean Q42's commercial version: I know their website is a bit
confusing about this point. It sounds like the Open Source version has
more bugs than the commercial one. I don't know what the truth is, but
I guess they don't have different code bases. Maybe the Open Source
version is just an older version. Maybe you can ask them on their
mailing list. I am curious too.

The main difference seems that the commercial version has more
functionality than the OS version, such as for instance "Animations",
which I think is very important with regard to usability.

> It seems weird that they have the commercial version being sold as 'less buggy.'
> Is the OS version intentionally buggy to get people to buy the commercial
> version?

I really don't know, but I agree.

> I am having trouble understanding this business model.

I agree, but I think they have the problem that they coded too
long without going Open Source. There is also a main difference between
a CMS and an Editor: With the CMS you can do a lot of integration work,
but with the Editor there isn't much to do normally.

Michael

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
ok, Wyona now includes Xopus.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
ok, Wyona now includes Xopus.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.

Posted by "Marcelo F. Ochoa" <mo...@ieee.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> I will finish within the next couple of days a
> basic sitemap (reading, saving and redirect after saving), some more
> examples and start some documentation.
>
> Then refactoring and enhancing starts ... that's where I would need help
>
> If anybody is already interested in my stuff I did so far and doesn't
> want to wait some more days, I can certainly checkin my stuff into the
> Wyona CVS where it will be public. Just let me know.

 I would like to include Xopus editor into DBPrism CMS.
 But, probably we will meet at OSCOM San Francisco :) then I will use
this oportunity to know Xopus in deep.

> Michael

   Best regards, Marcelo.

--
Marcelo F. Ochoa - mochoa@ieee.org
Do you Know DB Prism? Look @ http://www.plenix.com/dbprism/

Re: Xopus2 has been open sourced

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.

Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> As you probably have heard or read somewhere, Xopus 2 (or at least the
>> most important modules of it) has been open sourced under the Apache
>> license on  August 30th: http://www.xopus.org
>

> Thanks for the hint : the "plans and schedule" page still says "nothing
> happened", but Xopus is available from the "downloads" page.

Yes I know, their website is a bit out of date

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.