Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/09 14:06:46 UTC

[Discuss] Migrate walkthroughs to flink-playgrounds for 1.11

Hi Everyone

I am currently going through the documentation for 1.11 and noticed an
issue with the walkthroughs.

Flink currently contains two walkthroughs for new users, one for data
stream and one for table[1, 2]. They both have corresponding maven
archetypes for users to create template projects with the proper
dependencies and follow along[3, 4].

The table walkthrough was added several releases ago and now actively
exposes deprecated and even internal apis. These are meant to serve as
users first exposure to Flink and is not a good impression.

To that end, I want to propose dropping the maven archetypes from 1.11 and
adding new dockerized playgrounds to go along with the docs in the
flink-playgrounds repo.

While we are past the feature freeze I think this is important and would
not affect release testing or 1.11's stability. I am volunteering to ensure
the work is completed before the release.

Seth

[1]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/getting-started/walkthroughs/table_api.html
[2]
https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/master/flink-walkthroughs/flink-walkthrough-table-java/src/main/resources/archetype-resources/src/main/java/SpendReport.java

Re: [Discuss] Migrate walkthroughs to flink-playgrounds for 1.11

Posted by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com>.
IMO, having the walkthroughs as maven archetypes is not maintainable.

Posted by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com>.
It seems like there is general consensus. I have opened FLINK-18194 and
corresponding PRs against the docs and flink-playgrounds

Seth

[1] https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/12592
[2] https://github.com/apache/flink-playgrounds/pull/13

Posted by Konstantin Knauf <ko...@ververica.com>.