Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de> on 2002/11/30 14:41:29 UTC

Designing Dialogs in XML

We have the need to do the following - and for the life of me I have not yet
found anything that already does this - although I am sure there must be...

1) Define page layouts in an XML markup

example:

page1.xml

  <page name="firstpage">
    <part name="toppart" src="/resources/header"/>
    <part name="middlepart">
      This is the middle
    </part>
    <part src="/resources/dialog">
  </page>

Depending on the stylesheet used in the later formatting this would then be
transformed to say a frameset (HTML) or different cards (WML).

2) Define dialog elements in an XML markup

Define things like text fields, buttons etc. in a way so that a later step
makes the transformation into the specific instance for the required end
format.

So the above link to /resources/dialog would then load an XML file
containing the description of a particular dialog into the third part of the
page.

I really only need this in one direction at the moment (i.e. publishing
stuff outwards) - so I don't need the overhead of validation etc.

Apart from inventing some new XML formats for this - surely there must be
something like this already out there? I've looked at XUL, XMLForms etc. but
they don't seem right - but perhaps they are.

Matthew

--
Open Source Group       Cocoon { Consulting, Training, Projects }
Tel:+49-5251-1581-30  mlangham@s-und-n.de - http://www.s-und-n.de

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
Interesting idea.
Are you suggesting that Cocoon should support XFrames URLs?
Makes sense to me.

Do you two have some use cases and specific suggestions in this direction?

Ivelin

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi,

Since cocoon is moving to Relax NG schemas, why not build your forms from that?

For example:

  <rng:define name="page">
    <rng:element name="page">
      <rng:ref name="page.attrlist"/>
      <rng:zeroOrMore>
        <rng:ref name="col"/>
      </rng:zeroOrMore>
    </rng:element>
  </rng:define>

  <rng:define name="page.attrlist">
    <rng:attribute name="print_friendly">
      <a:attr label="Print friendly" dflt="false">
        <a:description>Indicates whether a print friendly page should be
generated</a:description>
      </a:attr>
      <rng:data type="boolean"/>
    </rng:attribute>
    <rng:ref name="title.attr"/>
    <rng:ref name="xsl_fileref.attr"/>
  </rng:define>

  <rng:define name="title.attr">
    <rng:attribute name="title">
      <a:attr label="Title" dflt="">
        <a:description>A text title</a:description>
      </a:attr>
      <rng:data type="token"/>
    </rng:attribute>
  </rng:define>
  <rng:define name="xsl_fileref.attr">
    <rng:attribute name="xsl_fileref">
      <a:attr label="XSL ref" dflt="default">
        <a:description>A name of the primary XSL template to be
used</a:description>
      </a:attr>
      <rng:choice>
        <rng:value type="NMTOKEN">default</rng:value>
        <rng:value type="NMTOKEN">something-else</rng:value>
      </rng:choice>
    </rng:attribute>
  </rng:define>

I am taking some liberties with the annotation in the schema as it is currently
defined, but it still validates (both the schema and the XML instance).
Transform this into your form using the annotations to fill out whatever else
needs to be in the form. Perhaps cocoon devs could come up with an altered RNG
Schema (the one that validates the RNG schema itself) for these additional
annotations. By the way it is pretty easy to transform this into a set of JS
objects (client - or server side, if necessary). Note: the //a:attr/@dflt is
spelled the way it is so it can work in JS.

best,
-Rob

Re: Designing Dialogs in XML

Posted by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>.