Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/27 14:57:20 UTC

[ANN] Versions Maven Plugin 2.0 released

The Mojo team is pleased to announce the release of the Versions
Maven Plugin, version 2.0

NOTE: This release requires Maven 2.2.1 or newer and consequently JRE 1.5
or newer.

NOTE: This is the *last* planned release that will support running on Maven
2.2.x

The Versions Plugin has the following goals.

* versions:compare-dependencies compares the dependency versions of
the current project to the dependency management section of a remote
project.
* versions:display-dependency-updates scans a project's dependencies
and produces a report of those dependencies which have newer versions
available.
* versions:display-plugin-updates scans a project's plugins and
produces a report of those plugins which have newer versions
available.
* versions:display-property-updates scans a projectand produces a
report of those properties which are used to control artifact versions
and which properies have newer versions available.
* versions:update-parent updates the parent section of a project so
that it references the newest available version. For example, if you
use a corporate root POM, this goal can be helpful if you need to
ensure you are using the latest version of the corporate root POM.
* versions:update-properties updates properties defined in a project
so that they correspond to the latest available version of specific
dependencies. This can be useful if a suite of dependencies must all
be locked to one version.
* versions:update-child-modules updates the parent section of the
child modules of a project so the version matches the version of the
current project. For example, if you have an aggregator pom that is
also the parent for the projects that it aggregates and the children
and parent versions get out of sync, this mojo can help fix the
versions of the child modules. (Note you may need to invoke Maven with
the -N option in order to run this goal if your project is broken so
badly that it cannot build because of the version mis-match).
* versions:lock-snapshots searches the pom for all -SNAPSHOT versions
and replaces them with the current timestamp version of that
-SNAPSHOT, e.g. -20090327.172306-4
* versions:unlock-snapshots searches the pom for all timestamp locked
snapshot versions and replaces them with -SNAPSHOT.
* versions:resolve-ranges finds dependencies using version ranges and
resolves the range to the specific version being used.
* versions:set can be used to set the project version from the command line.
* versions:use-releases searches the pom for all -SNAPSHOT versions
which have been released and replaces them with the corresponding
release version.
* versions:use-next-releases searches the pom for all non-SNAPSHOT
versions which have been a newer release and replaces them with the
next release version.
* versions:use-latest-releases searches the pom for all non-SNAPSHOT
versions which have been a newer release and replaces them with the
latest release version.
* versions:use-next-snapshots searches the pom for all non-SNAPSHOT
versions which have been a newer -SNAPSHOT version and replaces them
with the next -SNAPSHOT version.
* versions:use-latest-snapshots searches the pom for all non-SNAPSHOT
versions which have been a newer -SNAPSHOT version and replaces them
with the latest -SNAPSHOT version.
* versions:use-next-versions searches the pom for all versions which
have been a newer version and replaces them with the next version.
* versions:use-latest-versions searches the pom for all versions which
have been a newer version and replaces them with the latest version.
* versions:commit removes the pom.xml.versionsBackup files. Forms one
half of the built-in "Poor Man's SCM".
* versions:revert restores the pom.xml files from the
pom.xml.versionsBackup files. Forms one half of the built-in "Poor
Man's SCM".

The artifacts have been deployed to the mojo repository and will be
mirrored to central.

Release Notes - Maven 2.x Versions Plugin - Version 2.0

** Bug
    * [MVERSIONS-150] - resolve-ranges fails for multi-module project with
inter-module dependencies w/o doing mvn install
    * [MVERSIONS-166] - NPE Generating "Plugin Updates Report" report.
    * [MVERSIONS-177] - versions:resolve-ranges does not change the pom file
    * [MVERSIONS-179] - Versions in dependencyManagement not updated
    * [MVERSIONS-190] - resolve-ranges goal doesn't resolve ranges for
artifacts with '${project.groupId}' groupId
    * [MVERSIONS-197] - resolve-ranges fails for managed-dependencies in
multi-module project

** Improvement
    * [MVERSIONS-195] - Switch to Maven 2.2.1 and Java 1.5 as minimum

** New Feature
    * [MVERSIONS-144] - Allow excluding certain versions of artifacts

Share and Enjoy[1]

The Mojo Team

[1] The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Share and Enjoy

Re: [ANN] Versions Maven Plugin 2.0 released

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Responding to all, as MVERSIONS-200 is important enough to flag the
potential issue if you are using deprecated properties (the ones that Maven
3 warns you about if you use them)

@Dennis Wheeler: I suspect you have hit
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MVERSIONS-200

The "right" thing to do is to update your poms replacing:
 ${pom.parent.groupId} with ${project.parent.groupId}
 ${pom.parent.artifactId} with ${project.parent.artifactId}
 ${pom.parent.version} with ${project.parent.version}
 ${pom.groupId} with ${project.groupId},
 ${pom.artifactId} with ${project.artifactId},
 ${pom.version} with ${project.version},
 ${parent.groupId} with ${project.parent.groupId}
 ${parent.artifactId} with ${project.parent.artifactId}
 ${parent.version} with ${project.parent.version}
 ${groupId} with ${project.groupId},
 ${artifactId} with ${project.artifactId},
 ${version} with ${project.version},

as that will ensure that your poms are compatibile with future versions of
Maven.

It is still to be decided whether to roll a patch release of 2.0 with
workaround code for this (use of deprecated properties) edge case.

-Stephen

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Even the stack trace from the NPE would help

Posted by "Wheeler, Dennis" <dw...@cobaltgroup.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
mvn org.codehaus.mojo:versions-maven-plugin:1.2:set

/Anders

Posted by "Wheeler, Dennis" <dw...@cobaltgroup.com>.