Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Vladyslav Bachynskyi <v....@gmail.com> on 2013/10/11 14:02:27 UTC

Memory consumption during check objects in cache

Hi All,

I have an issue...
I need to constantly check if the objects are in cache or not. If the
object is not in cache, I'm pushing it to.

To check the object I'm using below command:
curl -s -I -X GET -H "Cache-Control: only-if-cached"
http://ats-node01.example.com/video/d01/trailers/60645_some_video_file.wvm

During some time, such check consume all of the memory and then all of
swap, and ats restarts by taraffic_cop.

I've made a test.
No traffic, no clients on ats. I'm runing below command:

while [ 1 ]; do curl -s -I -X GET -H "Cache-Control: only-if-cached"
http://ats-node01.example.com/video/d01/trailers/60645_some_video_file.wvm;
done

And I can see permanent and fast memory consumption.

Please advise, how can I solve this issue?

Thanks,

Re: Memory consumption during check objects in cache

Posted by Vladyslav Bachynskyi <v....@gmail.com>.
Forgot to mention:

Apache Traffic Server - traffic_line - 4.0.1 - (build # 8913 on Sep  9
2013 at 13:14:52)

CentOS 6.4 2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64

Posted by Vladyslav Bachynskyi <v....@gmail.com>.
Sorry, guys.
It definitely had to be in my first message.
Shame on me.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Posted by Vladyslav Bachynskyi <v....@gmail.com>.
On 15.10.2013 03:04, Alan M. Carroll wrote:

> What's the bandwidth from ATS to the client? I wonder if ATS is using
> up memory reading the object from the disk cache because the cache
> read is faster than the download speed.

I'm doing this check locally on the same machine.

Re: Memory consumption during check objects in cache

Posted by John Plevyak <jp...@gmail.com>.
The buffering has back pressure but is controlled by the state machine and
plugins. It will buffer a couple megs per user w huge files.

Posted by "Alan M. Carroll" <am...@network-geographics.com>.

Posted by Vladyslav Bachynskyi <v....@gmail.com>.
Nothing special in my configuration.
Just one not usual thing, the files in cache are huge... from 2Gb to 20Gb.

I've run this check for some time, for one object in cache, it consumed
some amount of memory (as far as I remember ~7G) and then the consumption
has stopped, but check was still running. Such a strange behavior.
BTW, the same issue I have with 3.3.1-dev.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.