Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "plot.lost" <pl...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/02 11:56:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Is it possible to have a central balancer-manager for multilpe vhosts?

Hi,

I have several virtual hosts defined on a single apache instance, all of
which use a a reverse proxy (proxypass) to talk to different back-end
servers. Each proxypass uses a balancer: reference, with the proxy
balancer entries having multiple BalancerMember entries.

At the moment in order to view the balancer status or edit worker
settings I have to go to a location on each vhost that has the
'SetHandler balancer-manager' defined in it, and check/update each vhost
in turn.

Is it possible to define (maybe using a dedicated vhost) a single place
that can manage all of the <proxy balancer:> entries. I don't mean to
share the proxy balancer entries themselves across vhosts, but to have a
single page where I can view the status of every proxy balancer entry
and update if required, regardless of which vhost that proxy balancer is
for.

At the moment I need to go to a URL on vhost1 to get

LoadBalancer Status for balancer://server1
LoadBalancer Status for balancer://server2

and then a separate URL on vhost2 to get

LoadBalancer Status for balancer://server3
LoadBalancer Status for balancer://server4

and so on.

What I would like to do is got to a single URL that shows something like:

LoadBalancer Status for <vhost1> balancer://server1
LoadBalancer Status for <vhost1> balancer://server2
LoadBalancer Status for <vhost2> balancer://server3
LoadBalancer Status for <vhost2> balancer://server4
etc.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: [users@httpd] Is it possible to have a central balancer-manager for multilpe vhosts?

Posted by "plot.lost" <pl...@gmail.com>.
On 02/09/2011 11:16, Rod Behr wrote:
> How about a single web page with a number of iframes, each containing
> the URL you describe?

Thanks for the idea, but a page with iframes on would not work for me in
this case. I want to remove the balancer manager options from the vhosts
and have a single central location to control all of them.

RE: [users@httpd] Is it possible to have a central balancer-manager for multilpe vhosts?

Posted by Rod Behr <Ro...@impact-europe.com>.
[...]

www.global-presence.org

Travel less, videoconference more. It does not cost the Earth.

Impact Marcom Ltd trading as Impact | Registered in England No. 1166286. Registered Address: Europe House, 170 Windmill Road West, Sunbury-on-Thames, Middlesex, TW16 7HB

The information contained in this message is intended only for the recipient, and may be privileged, confidential and/or protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, please be aware that any dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Impact Marcom Ltd reserves the right, subject to applicable local law, to monitor and review the content of any electronic message or information sent to or from Impact Marcom employee e-mail addresses without informing the sender or recipient of the message.

[users@httpd] Re: Is it possible to have a central balancer-manager for multilpe vhosts?

Posted by Darshana <ru...@gmail.com>.
I am running into an issue.
I have multiple vhosts defining their own balancer
when I enable balancer-manager on the webpage I only see first vhost balancer.
Can you provide with sample configuration which worked for you.

Re: [users@httpd] Is it possible to have a central balancer-manager for multilpe vhosts?

Posted by "plot.lost" <pl...@gmail.com>.
On 02/09/2011 11:38, Tom Evans wrote:
> Define your balancers outside of a vhost, and they will be available
> to view/modify from all balancer managers.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

That worked perfectly, thanks a lot!

Can't believe it was that simple.

By having the balancers defined outside of the vhosts, and only having
one of the vhosts with a balancer-manager section has done exactly what
I was looking for - a single central location to manage all balancers.

Re: [users@httpd] Is it possible to have a central balancer-manager for multilpe vhosts?

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.