Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Rick Reumann <r...@reumann.net> on 2003/04/18 00:38:26 UTC

answer to why The Bat. Re: [OT] Email clients [was: test]

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:56:03 +0000
James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:

> What do you use and why do you like it?

Here are some of the features it had that I found particularly useful
that not all clients had. Some had them (and on Linux sylpheed has the
most but not all of these)...

- park/lock messages. (When you delete all from a folder these messages
remain. Useful for large lists where you plan on reading a bunch later
you can just lock the messages you want and then delete all of the
folder and these messages remain behind).

- powerful scripting built in to the client. (template idea in other
clients but I find the Bat's much easier to use and more versatile).

- add memos to any message and see them in the list of messages. Very
useful when a huge long thread of re: emails in which you'd like to add
a memo to the message so you can give some more detail to what's in the
contents.

- add as many color categories as you want so that you can color code
messages. (A lot of clients have this now but you are often limited in
the number of colors you can create and/or limited by the titles of what
those colors stand for).

-** threading is the best by far in the client. You can thread by all
different criteria. Most clients only have simple threading protocols.

- the filtering options are tremendous. Just install The Bat and see the
different options for filtering and how customizable it is.

- ability to customize display. So many clients won't even let me add
the "To" field to the list of messages. With the Bat you can add as many
fields as you want to display in the messages list. The "to" field is
useful if you possibly want to group several lists together in one
folder (maybe some light traffic lists). With the To field showing in
the message list you can easily pick out and sort the messages.

- fast. And fast powerful search capabilities. You can search by many
more options than I've seen in other clients and across folders and
accounts which many won't let you do.

- the editor. Some don't like the editor at first, but I think any
programmer will love the editor. It can be set up so that it works by
following an indent which is really nice. So if I indent the first line
of the next sentence like so:

    here is a new line. Now the next line automatically when I
    hit return would line up right under the 'here' from the
    previous line. Of course I had to manually do that in this
    client since I'm on Linux. Sure opening the e-mail in an
    external editor can do it, but it's nice having it integrated.

- It's the only editor that really handles broken up quoted text
correctly. For example when replying to a message and you want to break
up the original author's line it can be set to keep the reply marker and
will also wrap the quoted text automatically. Some editors handle either
or none of the above correctly. I haven't found one yet that handles
both correctly.

Well, I could go on if I think about it. I only use Linux now so I miss
The Bat. (That and powermarks is the only thing I miss from Windows
though:)

E-mail me if you have any other questions.

--
Rick
mailto: r@reumann.net