Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org> on 2004/07/14 17:17:06 UTC

mod_jk 1.0.26 release ?

jk 1.2.6 seems to be in a good shape and a release should be welcome
for many users.

I'd like to release jk 1.2.6 next week.

Any objections ?

Vote please ;-)

Re: mod_jk 1.0.26 release ?

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
> jk 1.2.6 seems to be in a good shape and a release should be welcome
> for many users.
>
> I'd like to release jk 1.2.6 next week.
>
> Any objections ?
>
> Vote please ;-)

+1 (even if I haven't had much time to put into the '1' part :).

Re: mod_jk 1.0.26 release ?

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
cool status and it works fine,

+1

Thanx
peter

mod_jk 1.2.6 release - any showstopper ?

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Fix the latest Bill fix on lb cookies it seems there
is nothing which prevent us from releasing jk 1.2.6.

So if nobody reports a show stopper today, I'll
start the jk 1.2.6 release tomorrow morning CET.

Regards

Re: mod_jk 1.2.6 release ? - session tracking cookie

Posted by Sandy McArthur <Sa...@McArthur.org>.
Bill,

Much thanks!

We've tested the fixed get_cookie back-ported to mod_jk 1.2.5 and it
works well.

We'll deploy that version into production tonight but I don't expect
any problems. I'll let y'all know if there is.

Sandy

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

----

Posted by Sandy McArthur <Sa...@McArthur.org>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Bill Barker wrote:

> [...]

I've got such settings here, with 2 TC 3.3.2.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
> On Jul 19, 2004, at 8:43 AM, Henri Gomez wrote:
> > And since I couldn't delay the release to long, we need a quick reply,
> > so thanks to take a look at it.
>
> We've setup a current CVS checkout of mod_jk at
> http://sp27en1.nerdc.ufl.edu/login.do which is load balancing to our
> webmail cluster. If you constantly reload the page you'll see it's
> setting a new JSESSIONID cookie on every request.

Yup.  Sending the cookie almost always fails to stick.  Sending the
jsessionid via URL-rewriting always sticks.  So it does look like there is a
bug with the lb cookie parsing.  I can't see by looking at the code what it
is however :(.  I can probably find a machine that I can hook up with the
HEAD code and lb to see what is going wrong, but I can't promise when.  If
you feel like putting more work into this, adding 'fprintf(stderr,...)'
statements should go to the Apache error_log.

> For comparison https://webmail.ufl.edu/login.do is using mod_jk 1.2.5
> load balancing to the same webmail cluster.

Yup.  This one will always stick with the cookie.

Posted by Sandy McArthur <Sa...@McArthur.org>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Sandy McArthur wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2004, at 4:06 AM, Henri Gomez wrote:
>
>> Sandy McArthur wrote:
>>
>>> Thinking on it more, I think I'm full of it and I was confusing the
>>> symptoms of two problems that were happening at the same time.
>>> Disregard my comments below until I can double check myself.
>>> Sandy

>> I'm waiting for your reply to tag and make jk 1.2.6 release.
>

> I double checked our setup and our attempt to patch mod_jk 1.2.5 with
> the new get_cookie implementation and found that request were *not*
> being forward to the right clone based on the jvmroute part of the
> JSESSIONID cookie.
>
> I have not had time to test a current CVS checkout of mod_jk in a load
> balanced setup.

Well the patch was release to fix your problem and correct what could be
a serious problem in jk 1.2.x and I'd like to know if it's fixed before
making the 1.2.6 release.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
> On Jul 19, 2004, at 4:06 AM, Henri Gomez wrote:
>
> > Sandy McArthur wrote:
> >
> >> Thinking on it more, I think I'm full of it and I was confusing the
> >> symptoms of two problems that were happening at the same time.
> >> Disregard my comments below until I can double check myself.
> >> Sandy

> > I'm waiting for your reply to tag and make jk 1.2.6 release.
>
> I double checked our setup and our attempt to patch mod_jk 1.2.5 with
> the new get_cookie implementation and found that request were *not*
> being forward to the right clone based on the jvmroute part of the
> JSESSIONID cookie.

If the UA is sending trailing white-space between the Cookie value and the
';', then the current patch will fail.  I don't know of any UAs that do,
which is why I didn't bother with stripping it (at least this close to a
release date).

Posted by Sandy McArthur <Sa...@McArthur.org>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sandy McArthur <Sa...@McArthur.org>.

Posted by Sandy McArthur <Sa...@McArthur.org>.

Re: mod_jk 1.0.26 release ? - session tracking cookie

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Sandy McArthur wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2004, at 11:17 AM, Henri Gomez wrote:
>
>> jk 1.2.6 seems to be in a good shape and a release should be welcome
>> for many users.
>>
>> I'd like to release jk 1.2.6 next week.
>>
>> Any objections ?
>

> I have one gripe with the way mod_jk chooses the session tracking cookie.
>
> I'm not a dev but I just tracked down a bug that has been causing us,
> University of Florida, some pain for a few weeks.
>
> I'm currently verifying that I'm not full of it before I filed a bug
> report but the short version is:
>
> mod_jk seems to pick the first cookie ending in JSESSIONID such as
> PSJSESSIONID as opposed to what the servlet spec says in section 7.1.1:
> "The name of the session tracking cookie must be JSESSIONID."
>
> Take a look at the get_cookie function in jk_lb_worker.c and walk though
> it with input similar to:
>
> Cookie: PSJSESSIONID=FOOBAR; JSESSIONID=BAZZORK.jvm#

Bill patched the lb_worker to fix that.

WebappClassLoader.getURLs Bug!

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.
In Tomcat 4.1.x, I discovered that RMI calls from Tomcat failed when the
any of the full file paths of the web app jars contained a space (' ')
character.

At the time, I was told this would be fixed in Tomcat 5 and to work
around it in Tomcat 4.1.x, which I did.

Unfortunately, now that I've moved to Tomcat 5, I discover that the bug
is still quite present.  There is now a nice getURI() method along with
the previous getURL() method.  Unfortunately, getURLs() does not use
getURI( file ).toURL() or any such as it would need to for the RMI
runtime's sake (as it calls getURLs()).

I can clearly patch WebappClassLoader.getURLs() to make such calls
myself, but:

   1. I'm left wondering about the broader implications of doing just this.
          * In Tomcat 4.1.x, I changed getURL() to do
            canonicalFile.toURI().toURL() under Java 1.4 and a hand
            coded equivalent in previous JVMs.
          * This works quite robustly in my experience, but I'm left
            wondering what the overall best, safest, and most performant
            fix is.
   2. I don't want to keep having to maintain my own fix.  An overall
      optimal fix should be integrated into Tomcat 5 so that this issue
      ceases to be an issue for everyone using Tomcat.

--
Jess Holle

Re: mod_jk 1.0.26 release ? - session tracking cookie

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
Good catch :).

This should be easy enough to get into 1.2.6.

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Sandy McArthur wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2004, at 11:17 AM, Henri Gomez wrote:
>
>> jk 1.2.6 seems to be in a good shape and a release should be welcome
>> for many users.
>>
>> I'd like to release jk 1.2.6 next week.
>>
>> Any objections ?
>

> I have one gripe with the way mod_jk chooses the session tracking cookie.
>
> I'm not a dev but I just tracked down a bug that has been causing us,
> University of Florida, some pain for a few weeks.
>
> I'm currently verifying that I'm not full of it before I filed a bug
> report but the short version is:
>
> mod_jk seems to pick the first cookie ending in JSESSIONID such as
> PSJSESSIONID as opposed to what the servlet spec says in section 7.1.1:
> "The name of the session tracking cookie must be JSESSIONID."
>
> Take a look at the get_cookie function in jk_lb_worker.c and walk though
> it with input similar to:
>
> Cookie: PSJSESSIONID=FOOBAR; JSESSIONID=BAZZORK.jvm#

I take a look at this and fix if simple :)

Re: mod_jk 1.0.26 release ? - session tracking cookie

Posted by Sandy McArthur <Sa...@McArthur.org>.

Re: mod_jk 1.0.26 release ?

Posted by Kurt Miller <tr...@apache.org>.
From: "Henri Gomez" <hg...@apache.org>
> jk 1.2.6 seems to be in a good shape and a release should be welcome
> for many users.
>
> I'd like to release jk 1.2.6 next week.
>
> Any objections ?
>
> Vote please ;-)

+1

Re: mod_jk 1.0.26 release ?

Posted by David Rees <dr...@greenhydrant.com>.
nyhgan wrote:

> Tomcat 3.3.2 and jk1.2.5 is what I am using now and it runs fine. The
> problem described emails below only occurs if you use jk1.2.x with Tomcat
> 5.x (or 4.x). And because of this reasonI can't upgrade my Tomcat to
> Tomcat5.x.

This sounds like more of a problem in your application or in TC 4 or 5
which your application triggers than a connector bug to me...  What do the
Tomcat logs say?  Does restarting Apache fix the problem, or does
restarting Tomcat fix the problem?

-Dave

Re: mod_jk 1.0.26 release ?

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
nyhgan wrote:

> -------------------------------------
> What's the exact problem ?
>
> I'm using jk 1.2.5 with Apache 2.0 and Tomcat 3.3.2 and handle about
> 300 000 req/days and never got this problem.
>
> Explain and detail please.
> -------------------------------------
>

> Hi, Henri Gomez
>

> Tomcat 3.3.2 and jk1.2.5 is what I am using now and it runs fine. The problem described emails below only occurs if you use jk1.2.x with Tomcat 5.x (or 4.x). And because of this reasonI can't upgrade my Tomcat to Tomcat5.x.
>
> Was jk1.2.x designed to work with Tomcat 5.x? Do I need to use jk2? I am using Apache 1.3.27 and I don't think it will work with jk2.

You could use jk 1.2.x with Tomcat 5.x without problem

Re: mod_jk 1.0.26 release ?

Posted by nyhgan <ny...@yahoo.com>.

-------------------------------------
What's the exact problem ?

I'm using jk 1.2.5 with Apache 2.0 and Tomcat 3.3.2 and handle about
300 000 req/days and never got this problem.

Explain and detail please.

Hi, Henri Gomez

Tomcat 3.3.2 and jk1.2.5 is what I am using now and it runs fine. The problem described emails below only occurs if you use jk1.2.x with Tomcat 5.x (or 4.x). And because of this reasonI can't upgrade my Tomcat to Tomcat5.x.

Was jk1.2.x designed to work with Tomcat 5.x? Do I need to use jk2? I am using Apache 1.3.27 and I don't think it will work with jk2.

nyhgan

Re: mod_jk 1.0.26 release ?

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.

Re: mod_jk 1.0.26 release ?