Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Damian Minkov <da...@space-comm.com> on 2003/03/12 10:05:54 UTC

Redirect Mailet

Can you explain me what is the use of static option (<static>) in the
Redirect mailet?

RE: Redirect Mailet

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
static=true tells the mailet that it can reuse all the initial parameters (to, from, etc)  without re-calculating their values, it is there to boost performance where a redirect task doesn't contain any dynamic values, when it's true the mailet simply short circuits the whole process.

Where you use magic words, (sender, and I forget what else) you should have static=false to make redirect re-calculate them everytime.

Redirect is actually a dual purpose thing. As well as its basic functionality it is intended to provide mailet developers with a lot of pretty standard redirection functionality which they can extend to provide custom mailets, like list-servers, because of this we don't calculate, or make any assumptions about the value of static.

I suppose we could tidy it up as no-one seems to get what it's for and a recently posted bug caused by incorrect static setting took Noel and I both to work out what was wrong, and we wrote the damned thing.. :-D :-D.

d.