Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com> on 2003/05/27 21:27:08 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Newbie Questions: modules / directory listing / languages

Hi Denise,

> I have newbie questions and would appreciate if anyone has any advice.

As a first thing in life, not in Apache, I would suggest that you learn
to swim before you jump into deep water.

> 1)  I installed the binary distribution of Apache 1.3.27 and would like
> remove any modules that are not necessary.  How can I find out which
> modules
> I am using / need?  I'd like to uninstall any unnecessary modules but
> don't
> want to affect anything..

What do you need or don't need to run??
Apache has a module per each feature, if you don't need some features,
see which module is loading it and just comment it (#).

> 2)  How do I disable directory listing?  For example if the URL points
> to a
> directory which has permission but no index file is specified, it will
> give
> a directory listing for all files in that directory.  I'd like to
> disable
> this feature.

In Directories containers:
Options -Indexes

> 3) Can I remove the AddLanguage directives if I only want my pages to
> be
> served in English?
>
> Thanks!! And sorry for the basic questions :)

just comment out the lines when they are being added (# at the front of
each line)
But why would you like to do that?? the highest priority by default is
being given to English anyways, only if you need to change to any other
language than i would say to "play" with it.

> Denise

All the best,
Jeff Cohen