Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2002/07/02 12:01:30 UTC

process of OSS development at jakarta

>From some private discussions (edited a bit):

> > 	Ok. So, I'll double check the code, get some samples together,
> > 	check it in, and send in a summary email to the list covering
> > 	everything you mentioned above. Sounds like a good plan. Thanks a
> > 	lot for your advice.
>
> pretty much sums it up yes. So your basic process:
>
> 1) analysis of use case
> 2) figure out problem domain
> 3) figure out where to satisfy use case
> 4) code solution
> 5) test
> 6) post solution for peer discussion and review
> 	7) refactor
> 	8) test
> 	9) post revised solution
> 	10) summarize
> 11) satisfactory solution? If not, back to 6. If yes:
> 12) document
>
> did I get that right? Probably.

	Yes. The process is right on. Perhaps there's a 13) Fix any bugs :)

	It all reads like common-sense. I guess somtimes, people need it
	to be pointed out to them :) but it's great to have a guide of
	what to do, especially how to handle the chicken & egg issues like
	'commit, then post', or 'post, then commit', etc.

> > 	Absolutely. I'll be saving this email away in my
> > 	'worth-its-weight-in-gold' folder for I'm sure, many future
> > 	references. :)
>
> cool! If this is indeed such a valuable insight, perhaps it should be
> somewhere for the world to read....hmm.

	Yes, I was going to say it would be great as part of a
	newbie-committer-kit or the like ? or available somewhere else
	easily accessible.

If y'all could comment and perhaps expand a bit, I'll put a webpage somewhere.
Or, if I missed the mark completely, I'll do nothing =)

regards,

- Leo Simons

Re: process of OSS development at jakarta

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 11:36, Leo Simons wrote:
> that's the idea.
>
> can someone get me karma to site2?

Done.

> thanks!
>
> On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 13:20, Ted Husted wrote:
> > Leo Simons wrote:
> > >
> > > If y'all could comment and perhaps expand a bit, I'll put a webpage somewhere.
> > > Or, if I missed the mark completely, I'll do nothing =)
> >
> > How about tieing that page in with the outline we started here:
> >
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/site/guides

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@apache.org
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: process of OSS development at jakarta

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
that's the idea.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> If y'all could comment and perhaps expand a bit, I'll put a webpage somewhere.
> Or, if I missed the mark completely, I'll do nothing =)

How about tieing that page in with the outline we started here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/guides

-- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY US
-- Java Web Development with Struts
-- Tel: +1 585 737-3463
-- Web: http://husted.com/about/services