Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by manua <ag...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/20 21:40:25 UTC

Getting Usage Manager Memory Limit reached message on the topic

HI,

I have a topic on which millions of messages are published and there was no
subscriber on that, till that time it was working fine.

I put a subscriber on that, read some messages and subscriber was killed.
After some time, I got Usage Manager Memory Limit message and the system
crashes. In the past the same topic has handled much more messages than
today.Only difference there was no subscriber in the past.

What could be the reason for this.

Thanks,
Manu

RE: Getting Usage Manager Memory Limit reached message on the topic

Posted by manua <ag...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Thomas.

I was having a durable consumer subscribed to this topic, but after the
consumer id done, I have deleted the subscriber from the Manage broker
activemq page.

In another setup, I have closed the consumer and deleted it, as,

consumer.Close();
session.DeleteDurableConsumer("test");

Also, is there a way to have a non durable topic.Even if a durable consumer
tried to subscribe to this topic, the topic itself should discard it.

Posted by "Swindells, Thomas" <TS...@nds.com>.
Is your consumer setup to be a durable subscriber by any chance?
Before: Your broker received a message for the topic, it has no subscribers for it so throws the message away.
Now: Your broker receives a message for the topic, it knows that it has a subscriber who wants to be sent the messages when it reconnects, so keeps the message, using up all your memory.

If your subscriber isn't configured to be durable, then if it isn't connected it won't get the messages, when it reconnects it only gets newly arrived messages.

Thomas

This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the postmaster@nds.com and delete it from your system as well as any copies. The content of e-mails as well as traffic data may be monitored by NDS for employment and security purposes. To protect the environment please do not print this e-mail unless necessary.

NDS Limited. Registered Office: One London Road, Staines, Middlesex, TW18 4EX, United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales. Registered no. 3080780. VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00