Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ListMan <li...@burble.net> on 2006/04/22 21:24:37 UTC

solaris 10 install problem

hi all, i've installed the 1.3.1 subversion package (and all its
dependencies) but when i try to check out a repos i get

steve@myhost develop/subversic 10> svn co file://repos/svn/subversic/
trunk
ld.so.1: svn: fatal: libexpat.so.1: open failed: No such file or
directory
Killed

anybody else run across this?
thx!

Re: solaris 10 install problem

Posted by Simon Butler <si...@icmethods.com>.

On Apr 22, 2006, at 4:55 PM, René Berber wrote:

> Looks strange, did you install the expat-1.95.5 package from
> Sunfreeware?  If
> that one doesn't include the library then the subversion package is
> bad indeed,
> should report it to Steve Christensen.

it doesn't i looked everywhere.. i'll report this to Steve

>> has anyone else been able to install the subversion 1.3.1 package
>> from
>> sunfreeware?
>
> Subversion should work with any of the installed libraries, you
> could just
> create a symlink (ln -s /usr/sfw/lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0
> /usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.1) while you can get the correct expat
> package.

that fixed it, thx!

Re: solaris 10 install problem

Posted by René Berber <r....@computer.org>.
Simon Butler wrote:

> hi rene, i really appreciate you helping me with this. i ran
>
> pkginfo | grep -i expat
> # Copy the name of the package
> pkgchk -v <package name>
>
> and got

[snip]
> /usr/local/lib/libexpat.a
> /usr/local/lib/libexpat.la
> /usr/local/lib/libexpat.so
> /usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.0
> /usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.0.4.0

Looks too old!

[snip]
> locate libexpat
>
> and got
>
> /usr/apache2/lib/libexpat.a
> /usr/apache2/lib/libexpat.la
> /usr/apache2/lib/libexpat.so
> /usr/apache2/lib/libexpat.so.0
> /usr/apache2/lib/libexpat.so.0.1.0

From Apache 2.0.x installed with Solaris 10.

> /usr/local/lib/libexpat.a
> /usr/local/lib/libexpat.la
> /usr/local/lib/libexpat.so
> /usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.0
> /usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.0.4.0
> /usr/sfw/lib/amd64/libexpat.so
> /usr/sfw/lib/amd64/libexpat.so.0
> /usr/sfw/lib/amd64/libexpat.so.0.5.0
> /usr/sfw/lib/libexpat.so
> /usr/sfw/lib/libexpat.so.0
> /usr/sfw/lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0

From Solaris 10 (I just hate the way the install n-copies of the same thing).

--
René Berber

Re: solaris 10 install problem

Posted by Simon Butler <si...@icmethods.com>.
hi rene, i really appreciate you helping me with this. i ran

pkginfo | grep -i expat
# Copy the name of the package
pkgchk -v <package name>

and got

/usr/local/bin
/usr/local/bin/xmlwf
/usr/local/doc
/usr/local/doc/expat
/usr/local/doc/expat/COPYING
/usr/local/doc/expat/Changes
/usr/local/doc/expat/MANIFEST
/usr/local/doc/expat/README
/usr/local/doc/expat/doc
/usr/local/doc/expat/doc/reference.html
/usr/local/doc/expat/doc/style.css
/usr/local/doc/expat/doc/valid-xhtml10.png
/usr/local/doc/expat/doc/xmlwf.1
/usr/local/doc/expat/doc/xmlwf.sgml
/usr/local/doc/expat/examples
/usr/local/doc/expat/examples/elements.c
/usr/local/doc/expat/examples/outline.c
/usr/local/include
/usr/local/include/expat.h
/usr/local/lib
/usr/local/lib/libexpat.a
/usr/local/lib/libexpat.la
/usr/local/lib/libexpat.so
/usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.0.4.0
/usr/local/man
/usr/local/man/man1
/usr/local/man/man1/xmlwf.1

i also tried:

Posted by René Berber <r....@computer.org>.
ListMan wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2006, at 3:06 PM, René Berber wrote:
>
>> ListMan wrote:
>>>
>>> hi all, i've installed the 1.3.1 subversion package (and all its
>>> dependencies)
>>
>> Installed from where?
>
> i got this package from
> http://sunfreeware.mirrors.tds.net/indexintel10.html

OK, this package installs everything under /usr/local.

> and followed the instructions exactly. i deleted the packages and
> reinstalled several times
> to make sure i wasn't making some kind of error.

Did you installed expat?

>>> but when i try to check out a repos i get
>>>
>>> steve@myhost develop/subversic 10> svn co
>>> file://repos/svn/subversic/trunk
>>> ld.so.1: svn: fatal: libexpat.so.1: open failed: No such file or
>>> directory
>>> Killed
>>>
>>> anybody else run across this?
>>
>> No, but I build my own installation.
>
> i tried that too and got some linking errors during make..
>

>> Your problem is a badly built package.  Check "ldd <path>/svn" (you
>> need to
>> specify the full path to svn), see how many libraries are not found
>> and then
>> find where those are.
>
> libexpat.so.1 is missing but i ran locate and this does not appear to be
> anywhere on the machine

Another approach:

pkginfo | grep -i expat
# Copy the name of the package
pkgchk -v <package name>

This was only to make sure that it was installed and where.

Now, /usr/local/lib is not in the default dynamic loader search path, as I said
there are several ways to solve this, use crle, set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc.

> hmm, i guess solaris 10 isn't the most stable of environments. i also
> have a solaris 8 machine it *just worked*

Your problem has nothing to do with "stability", is just that /usr/local is not
in the default path for anything.  If you install non-Sun packages (Sunfreeware
or Blastwave) you have to configure your environment accordingly.
--
René Berber

Re: solaris 10 install problem

Posted by ListMan <li...@burble.net>.

Posted by René Berber <r....@computer.org>.
ListMan wrote:

> hi all, i've installed the 1.3.1 subversion package (and all its
> dependencies)

Installed from where?

> but when i try to check out a repos i get
>
> steve@myhost develop/subversic 10> svn co file://repos/svn/subversic/trunk
> ld.so.1: svn: fatal: libexpat.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
> Killed
>
> anybody else run across this?

No, but I build my own installation.

Your problem is a badly built package.  Check "ldd <path>/svn" (you need to
specify the full path to svn), see how many libraries are not found and then
find where those are.

There are several possible solutions, the immediate one is to set your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include where the missing libraries are (let me guess
/opt/csw/lib), the real solution is to build the package with valid hard coded
library paths.
--
René Berber