Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Wim Deblauwe <wi...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/22 09:00:40 UTC

Maven vs Ivy

Hi,

I really love Maven, but people in my organisation seem to have noticed Ivy.
I have not used Ivy, but I really like those nice screenshots. Are there any
things Ivy does that Maven2 currently can't do? One thing I see is the nice
depencency graph (but hopefully someone will code that during the Google
Summer of Code:)).

Any more thoughts on this?

regards,

Wim

Re: Maven vs Ivy

Posted by Wim Deblauwe <wi...@gmail.com>.
Interesting weblog Carlos, thank you for that. You should add that info to
the maven docs if it is not already there.

regards,

Wim

Re: Maven vs Ivy

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
It's possible right now, although not a good idea
See http://jroller.com/page/carlossg?entry=optional_dependencies_in_maven

On 5/22/06, Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> At the moment, it's not doable out of the box but there have been
> countless discussions about some sort of features like this on this
> list. So expect some improvements in this area to make it in Maven
> 2.1. On the other hand, you can always use some profiles or a super
> pom to manage more cleanly big dependencies (with a lot of optionnal
> transitives dependencies). This is how I do for Spring and Hibernate.
>
> On 5/22/06, Wim Deblauwe <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I know it does, but it does not support "configurations" of dependencies
> > like I believe Ivy does. If you have a project X that can either depend on Y
> > or Z depending on what you like, you would need to declare both dependencies
> > optional in Maven altough it will not work if you omit both. You need to
> > choose between Y or Z. This cannot be easily expressed with Maven2.
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Wim
> >
> > 2006/5/22, Geoffrey De Smet <ge...@gmail.com>:
> > >
> > > Maven 2 supports optional dependencies.
> > >
> > > You can even exclude non-optional transitive dependencies.

> > > is
> > > Maven

> > > noticed
> > > the