Posted to dev@rya.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> on 2016/07/31 06:00:39 UTC

[DISCUSS] let's try a release

Hi folks!

Anyone up for acting as the community's first release manager? It's
been a while, and working through the process of doing a release is
something that takes practice so it's good to get in the habit.

Re: [DISCUSS] let's try a release

Posted by Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@usna.edu>.
I assume that means that Aaron is still volunteering to be the Release
Manager.
I like Keith's ideas. Thank you for sharing.
How about we set a deadline for the first release of Sept 9, 2016? That is
a month from now, hopefully plenty of time to get it done.

Adina

--
Dr. Adina Crainiceanu
Associate Professor, Computer Science Department

RE: [DISCUSS] let's try a release

Posted by "Meier, Caleb" <Ca...@parsons.com>.
Hey Josh,

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Aaron --

Comments?

Posted by Puja Valiyil <pu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
We are working towards our first release in Fluo.  We did the
following for Fluo.  I was not sure if this info would of any use to
anyone, but then I thought it doesn't hurt to share for your
consideration.

 * Your first release does not have to be 1.0.0... it could be 0.9.0
or 1.0.0-alpha.  We did this for a few Fluo releases.  It helped us
have a stationary target to write documentation and examples against.
Writing these docs and examples helped us improve the next release.
 * We set a deadline for 1.0.0 release of July 18th a few weeks before
then.  We completely missed that deadline, however setting it was
hugely beneficial (having the deadline put us on a good trajectory).
It helped focus our attention on the short term goals we wanted to
accomplish before the release (and temporarily delaying longer term
goals).    As soon as we decided on a deadline we immediately triaged
issues and formed a simple plan for what we wanted to do before the
release [1].
 * Building on experience from Accumulo, the Fluo release process is
highly automated.  This is also the case for Accumulo.   It was not
always this way with Accumulo.  When Accumulo's release process was
more manual, this made people dread doing a release which was not
good.

[1]: https://github.com/apache/incubator-fluo/wiki/1.0.0-Release-Plan