Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Thomas Tuft Muller <tt...@online.no> on 2001/09/27 11:57:05 UTC

Class A fault in rolling-file algorithm(s)

Log4j users/developers

I've now tried endless combinations of parameters to the different
rollingfile appenders (CompositeRollingAppender, DailyRollingFileAppender,
RollingFileAppender) in log4j and they all make the application hang after a
rollover-attempt.

The application has a lot of threads and uses multiple appenders for a lot
of categories, some of them being async-appenders.

This (unfortunately) shows that multithreading issues are NOT solved
satisfactory in Log4j. Does anyone have any knowledge whether this is
addressed by the development team, if there exists fixes/updates etc? I
could of course fix the problem myself, unfortunately my schedule is pretty
tight for the time being.

I'm seriously considering applying another logging package, and I will
discourage use of log4j for other projects until this is solved. Dont' get
me wrong, I think log4j is an excellent logging package despite a few design
deficiencies, but no telco production system can tolerate to risk
application hangs as likely as the system today proves.

Thomas

Re: Class A fault in rolling-file algorithm(s)

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch>.

At 10:57 27.09.2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Log4j users/developers
>
>I've now tried endless combinations of parameters to the different
>rollingfile appenders (CompositeRollingAppender, DailyRollingFileAppender,
>RollingFileAppender) in log4j and they all make the application hang after a
>rollover-attempt.
>
>The application has a lot of threads and uses multiple appenders for a lot
>of categories, some of them being async-appenders.
>
>This (unfortunately) shows that multithreading issues are NOT solved
>satisfactory in Log4j. Does anyone have any knowledge whether this is
>addressed by the development team, if there exists fixes/updates etc? I
>could of course fix the problem myself, unfortunately my schedule is pretty
>tight for the time being.

>I'm seriously considering applying another logging package, and I will
>discourage use of log4j for other projects until this is solved. Dont' get
>me wrong, I think log4j is an excellent logging package despite a few design
>deficiencies, but no telco production system can tolerate to risk
>application hangs as likely as the system today proves.
>
>Regards,
>
>--
>
>Thomas

Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch

The world owes Israel a great debt for destroying Saddam's
French built nuclear reactor in 1981 and thus preventing
nuclear blackmail in the region and perhaps beyond.
                       -- Garry Kasparov (yes, the chess player)