Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au> on 2007/10/11 06:36:01 UTC

[VOTE] Accept Village code contribution from Jon Stevens

As required by the ASF ip-clearance process in the Incubator [1],
please vote to accept the Village code base contributed by Jon Stevens
that can be found at:

    http://people.apache.org/~seade/village/ (when replicated)

This is just the src tar copied from:

    http://www.softwareforge.de/releases/village/distributions/

I'll close this vote on October 18, 2007, at 5:00pm Australian Eastern
Standard Time.

Regards,

Scott

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/

Re: [VOTE] Accept Village code contribution from Jon Stevens

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
+1 for me obviously.

Scott

Scott Eade wrote:
> As required by the ASF ip-clearance process in the Incubator [1],
> please vote to accept the Village code base contributed by Jon Stevens
> that can be found at:
>
>    http://people.apache.org/~seade/village/ (when replicated)
>
> This is just the src tar copied from:
>
>    http://www.softwareforge.de/releases/village/distributions/
>
> I'll close this vote on October 18, 2007, at 5:00pm Australian Eastern
> Standard Time.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/

Re: [VOTE] Accept Village code contribution from Jon Stevens

Posted by vi...@ldh.org.
Of course, yes.

Posted by Jeffrey Brekke <ek...@gmail.com>.
+1

On 10/10/07, Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au> wrote:
> As required by the ASF ip-clearance process in the Incubator [1],
> please vote to accept the Village code base contributed by Jon Stevens
> that can be found at:
>
>     http://people.apache.org/~seade/village/ (when replicated)
>
> This is just the src tar copied from:
>
>     http://www.softwareforge.de/releases/village/distributions/
>
> I'll close this vote on October 18, 2007, at 5:00pm Australian Eastern
> Standard Time.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/

Jeffrey D. Brekke
Wisconsin,  USA

brekke at apache dot org
ekkerbj at gmail dot com
jbrekke at wi dot rr dot com

Re: torque 3.3 schedule

Posted by Jeffrey Brekke <ek...@gmail.com>.
I agree on waiting until after 3.3.  We've successfully had m2 deploy
to m1 repos.  We do it internally at work...

Jeffrey D. Brekke
Wisconsin,  USA

brekke at apache dot org
ekkerbj at gmail dot com
jbrekke at wi dot rr dot com

Re: torque 3.3 schedule

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.

Re: torque 3.3 schedule

Posted by Jeffrey Brekke <ek...@gmail.com>.
Eeeww.  m2 can obtain artifacts from an m1 repo, but I think the
issues come into deployment of the m2 plugin into/from an m1 repo (
and maybe vice-versa ).   If the plugins are separate projects,
installed into their respective repos, shouldn't the non-plugin
artifacts (jars) just be deployed into one place with once
group/artifactid?  Even if this is a m1 repo?  Then we could just use
an m2 build for everything but the m1 plugin?

On 10/17/07, Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net> wrote:
> a) we cannot use a m2 build only because the m1 plurgin needs an m1 build.
> And we cannot use a m1 build only because the m2 plugin needs a m2 build.
> So we have to use two types of repository at the moment and we cannot do
> anything against it.
> b) The m1:org.apache.torque is the long term goal. I'd not switch the group
> id in an rc. Also, having the two goup ids separates the two builds: group
> id "torque" are the m1 built files, group id "org.apache.torque" are the m2
> built files.  So I'd prefer to keept he the  m1:torque,
> m2:org.apache.torque solution for 3.3. This does not mean I'm -1 on the
> other solution, it is just my personal preference.
>
>     Thomas
>
> Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org> schrieb am 16.10.2007 22:24:52:

> the
> > >
> > > m1:torque, m2:org.apache.torque is good.
> >
> > The repository people are bugging everybody to settle on one type of
> > repository only. Shouldn't we try to use one group only for Torque? I
> > propose to deploy the artifacts to the m2-repo only and use
> > 'org.apache.torque' for this. Would that create big obstacles for the
> > two maven plugins?
> >
> > Bye, Thomas.

Jeffrey D. Brekke
Wisconsin,  USA

brekke at apache dot org
ekkerbj at gmail dot com
jbrekke at wi dot rr dot com

Re: torque 3.3 schedule

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.

Re: torque 3.3 schedule

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.

Re: torque 3.3 schedule

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.
Thomas Vandahl <th...@tewisoft.de> schrieb am 16.10.2007 09:11:45:
> Two questions remain (probably more will surface later):
> - What version should we give to the "integrated" Village? 2.0? 3.3?

I'd prefer 3.3 here.

Re: torque 3.3 schedule

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <th...@tewisoft.de>.
Greg Monroe wrote:

> IHMO, it seems much cleaner to keep it as a separate jar
> until it's totally re-packaged into the org.apache.torque
> (or some such) package. Doing this would require a lot
> of testing.

Ok, I see your point. Because Village already uses Maven to build, it
would probably be even easier to integrate as a separate module on the
same level as runtime, generator etc. The most difficult part remains
the integration of documentation into the site, anyway.

Re: torque 3.3 schedule

Posted by Brendan Miller <bm...@dotster.com>.
On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 10:27:07AM -0400, Greg Monroe wrote:
> FWIW, I'm -0.25 on integrating it into the Runtime jar
> for this version.
>
> Mostly because of possible support issues around having
> an old version of Village in the classpath with new code
> in the Torque jar.  This probably won't be a developer
> problem because Maven, et al, handle the dependencies.
> But I can see it happening on established production
> servers where removing old jars are often forgotten.

Allow a humble user to chime in on this--our process is ant-driven
(not maven) and uses build.xml to copy the correct jars from our own
repository of jars against we have tested our application to the correct
production location.  Obviously, we would intend to remove village.jar
once it was part of the torque runtime, but we could forget, the script
could go whack, a server could get missed, etc.

So good point.

Brendan

RE: torque 3.3 schedule

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.
FWIW, I'm -0.25 on integrating it into the Runtime jar
for this version.

Mostly because of possible support issues around having
an old version of Village in the classpath with new code
in the Torque jar.  This probably won't be a developer
problem because Maven, et al, handle the dependencies.
But I can see it happening on established production
servers where removing old jars are often forgotten.

Now that we "own" the code, we're going to be able to put
in misc "patches" for various problems. So I can see
issues coming up due to jar miss-matches with classes in
two places.

IHMO, it seems much cleaner to keep it as a separate jar
until it's totally re-packaged into the org.apache.torque
(or some such) package. Doing this would require a lot
of testing.

DukeCE Privacy Statement:
strictly prohibited.

Re: torque 3.3 schedule

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.

torque 3.3 schedule (was: Re: [VOTE] Accept Village code contribution from Jon Stevens)

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Thomas Vandahl wrote:
> Meanwhile I was thinking about postponing the Village integration to get
> Torque 3.3 out of the door. Any suggestions?

Thomas, whatever you want is fine. But we have waited for so long now that
a couple more weks will not hurt. Also, this leave me a bit of time to
check whether there are jira issues remaining which can be incorporated
into the new RC.

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Scott Eade wrote:
>
>> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>>

>>> ==> Scott, here's one more item on the check list you can take care
>>> after you upload the code to the temp location:
>>>
>>> "Check and make sure that the files that have been donated have been
>>> updated to reflect the new ASF copyright."
>>>

>> Is it good enough that this will be addressed when the code is imported
>> or do we need to go to the trouble of wrestling it first - I was hoping
>> for the former rather than the latter.
>>

> It should be wrestled before actually being committed to the asf repo,

That is my "good enough" strategy above - we can fix the licenses when
we do the commit.
> but the good news is there's a really handy tool in the committers repo
> to help do exactly that:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/relicense/src/perl/insert_license.pl

There is also Henning's CodeWrestler tool.  There aren't that many files
anyway so a manual update is not out of the question.
> I usually run this tool in "practice" mode on code that will be imported
> to quickly identify if there are any missing or any non-apache licenses
> in it.  Many folks in the incubator also use a RAT tool, but I like the
> insert_license.pl feature of also being able to update headers to the
> right one. (Derby used insert_license.pl last year to switch to the new
> ASF headers.)
>
> And I, oops, should have mentioned earlier these two items on the ip
> clearance check list:
>
> "Check and make sure that for all items included with the distribution
> that is not under the Apache license, we have the right to combine with
> Apache-licensed code and redistribute."
>
> "Check and make sure that all items depended upon by the project is
> covered by one or more of the following approved licenses: Apache, BSD,
> Artistic, MIT/X, MIT/W3C, MPL 1.1, or something with essentially the
> same terms."
>
> The actual list of approved ("Category A") licenses is at
> http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

All of the code is currently licensed under a variant to ASL 1.1 - just
to Working-Dogs.com rather than to The ASF.
> sorry for the earlier ommission, I posted before sufficient coffee.
>
> At any rate, that committers tool should nail all these birds with one
> stone.
>
> Tonight I'll commit the torque-village check list to the incubator repo
> as a work-in-progress (it doesn't have to be complete until we notify
> the incubator about the import), then post the link to it here.

Thanks,

Scott

Re: [VOTE] Accept Village code contribution from Jon Stevens

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Scott Eade wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>> ==> Scott, here's one more item on the check list you can take care
>> after you upload the code to the temp location:
>>
>> "Check and make sure that the files that have been donated have been
>> updated to reflect the new ASF copyright."
>>
> Is it good enough that this will be addressed when the code is imported
> or do we need to go to the trouble of wrestling it first - I was hoping
> for the former rather than the latter.

It should be wrestled before actually being committed to the asf repo,
but the good news is there's a really handy tool in the committers repo
to help do exactly that:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/relicense/src/perl/insert_license.pl

I usually run this tool in "practice" mode on code that will be imported
to quickly identify if there are any missing or any non-apache licenses
in it.  Many folks in the incubator also use a RAT tool, but I like the
insert_license.pl feature of also being able to update headers to the
right one. (Derby used insert_license.pl last year to switch to the new
ASF headers.)

And I, oops, should have mentioned earlier these two items on the ip
clearance check list:

"Check and make sure that for all items included with the distribution
that is not under the Apache license, we have the right to combine with
Apache-licensed code and redistribute."

"Check and make sure that all items depended upon by the project is
covered by one or more of the following approved licenses: Apache, BSD,
Artistic, MIT/X, MIT/W3C, MPL 1.1, or something with essentially the
same terms."

The actual list of approved ("Category A") licenses is at
http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

sorry for the earlier ommission, I posted before sufficient coffee.

At any rate, that committers tool should nail all these birds with one
stone.

Tonight I'll commit the torque-village check list to the incubator repo
as a work-in-progress (it doesn't have to be complete until we notify
the incubator about the import), then post the link to it here.

 -jean

Re: [VOTE] Accept Village code contribution from Jon Stevens

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Scott Eade wrote:
> Jean Anderson, our very helpful DB PMC Chair, has provided all the
> information we need in terms of meeting the requirements in order to
> bring the code into the ASF (she has in fact volunteered to do a bunch
> of the work for us).  It actually doesn't sound too onerous - take a
> look at the last few messages in private@db for the details.

The steps can be listed here and should be completed here. The
discussion popped up on private@db as a side effect of my looking for
input for the quarterly report. Below is a recap for torque-dev and
let's finish the process here.

btw, you can see other project check lists at
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html .

Below are items/actions that get noted on the ip clearance check list.

1) Start a vote on torque-dev to formally accept the code contribution.
Let that run for 7 days (7 is the Apache DB timeline). A link to the
completed vote gets recorded on the form.

Scott started that vote.

2) Post a nag to torque-dev to "Remind active committers that they are
responsible for ensuring that a Corporate CLA is recorded if such is
required to authorize their contributions under their individual CLA."

This may or may not apply to the current grant -- if anyone feels it is
needed, consider it done. :-)

3) upload a snapshot of the code that will be imported to a temp
location.

Scott will take care of this.

==> Scott, here's one more item on the check list you can take care
after you upload the code to the temp location:

"Check and make sure that the files that have been donated have been
updated to reflect the new ASF copyright."

4) Jim/Henning/board confirmed the grant was recorded, and I'll fill in
that slot on the check list.

5) After the checklist is complete, I'll commit it to the incubator
repo, then we post a notice to general@incubator.a.o about the
contribution with torque-dev cc'd. Here's what I did for derby on the
last round:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200702.mbox/%3c45E3B17D.7060306@bristowhill.com%3e

We post the RESULT to the incubator after 72 hours, then torque is
cleared to import the code.

your willing vhdpc,

 -jean

Re: [VOTE] Accept Village code contribution from Jon Stevens

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Scott Eade wrote:
>> Meanwhile I was thinking about postponing the Village integration to
>> get Torque 3.3 out of the door. Any suggestions?
> Well since you volunteered to do the work the decision is largely yours
> to make.  I would say however that now that the code grant has been
> located we are actually very close to having all of the i's dotted and
> the t's crossed in order to be able to proceed.
>
> Given how much of a pain this has been I think it would be a shame to
> skip this now that the end of the process is in sight.

Well, at the time I wrote this, I could not really see the end of the
process. This looks much better now and I agree that we can wait for the
rest of the necessary steps to complete.

Bye, Thomas.

Re: [VOTE] Accept Village code contribution from Jon Stevens

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Oct 11, 2007, at 5:31 AM, Scott Eade wrote:

> Thomas Vandahl wrote:
>> Just a side note: I wrote a mail about the submission of Jon to
>> Sam Ruby who is supposed to be responsible for the legal stuff but
>> failed to get any response. From mails on other lists I derive
>> that some more information is floating around. Could some kind
>> soul please fill me in what happened?
> Receipt of the code grant that Jon faxed in on 10 July was only
> acknowledged today (it is still to be committed to svn).

iirc, that grant was added to the grants.txt file in r11823 on Sept 6th.

Re: [VOTE] Accept Village code contribution from Jon Stevens

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Thomas Vandahl wrote:
> Just a side note: I wrote a mail about the submission of Jon to Sam Ruby
> who is supposed to be responsible for the legal stuff but failed to get
> any response. From mails on other lists I derive that some more
> information is floating around. Could some kind soul please fill me in
> what happened?
Receipt of the code grant that Jon faxed in on 10 July was only
acknowledged today (it is still to be committed to svn).

Jean Anderson, our very helpful DB PMC Chair, has provided all the
information we need in terms of meeting the requirements in order to
bring the code into the ASF (she has in fact volunteered to do a bunch
of the work for us).  It actually doesn't sound too onerous - take a
look at the last few messages in private@db for the details.

Probably the most long winded step that remains is for this vote to
proceed - 7 days.  Other than this it is pretty much a matter of filling
in a couple of forms and doing a couple of commits.

> Meanwhile I was thinking about postponing the Village integration to get
> Torque 3.3 out of the door. Any suggestions?
Well since you volunteered to do the work the decision is largely yours
to make.  I would say however that now that the code grant has been
located we are actually very close to having all of the i's dotted and
the t's crossed in order to be able to proceed.

Given how much of a pain this has been I think it would be a shame to
skip this now that the end of the process is in sight.

Cheers,

Scott

Re: [VOTE] Accept Village code contribution from Jon Stevens

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <th...@tewisoft.de>.
Scott Eade wrote:
> As required by the ASF ip-clearance process in the Incubator [1],
> please vote to accept the Village code base contributed by Jon Stevens
> that can be found at:
>
>    http://people.apache.org/~seade/village/ (when replicated)

+1, obviously.

Just a side note: I wrote a mail about the submission of Jon to Sam Ruby
who is supposed to be responsible for the legal stuff but failed to get
any response. From mails on other lists I derive that some more
information is floating around. Could some kind soul please fill me in
what happened?

Meanwhile I was thinking about postponing the Village integration to get
Torque 3.3 out of the door. Any suggestions?

Bye, Thomas

Re: [VOTE] Accept Village code contribution from Jon Stevens

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
+1

 -jean

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Accept Village code contribution from Jon Stevens

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.
Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org> schrieb am 03.11.2007 18:18:42:
> Thomas Fischer wrote:
> > If one tries to build the whole project from the root directory without
> > building village first, maven 1 complains about not being able to load
> > Village 3.3-RC3 from the central repository (although it is about to
> > build it).
>
> I have the same problem with the generator when the templates are not
> built first. I thought the Maven reactor would take care of this.

Well, if I remember right I have seen this before in the test project, and
as far as I remember, I did not find a good solution. I'd suggest leaving
it as it is, in the hope of swithing to maven2 soon.

> > I did not yet check the maven 2 build (Is there one ?) but will check
it
> > and try to create a basic one if it does not yet exist.
>
> <pride>There is one.</pride> It's my first attempt to build something
> with Maven 2 :-)

I can confirm that it works.

   Thomas

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Accept Village code contribution from Jon Stevens

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.
If one tries to build the whole project from the root directory without
building village first, maven 1 complains about not being able to load
Village 3.3-RC3 from the central repository (although it is about to
build it).

If one changes into the village directory and does
maven clean jar:install
, everything works fine.

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Thomas Vandahl wrote:
> Thanks, Scott, for managing this. Please let me know when I can start to
> integrate the stuff.
As with most things this has been a group effort - thanks also go to
Jon, Henning and Jean.  And let's not forget the person that is
integrating the code - i.e. thanks to you Thomas.

The last message to general@incubator that mentions "72 hours" was the
final "go ahead", so integration of the code can commence now.

Please be sure to update the licenses before committing the files and
make sure Jon appears in the author tags.

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Voting has closed.  The following votes were cast:

+1: 6 binding and one non-binding votes:
Augustin Vidovic (non-binding)
Thomas Vandahl
Thomas Fischer
Scott Eade