Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Georg Henzler <sl...@ghenzler.de> on 2016/02/25 00:24:25 UTC

Health Check Tickets

Hi

apart from some sporadic patches from my side, there has not been much
activity regarding health checks in the last few months. There are a few
changes that I would love to see committed and released:

*** Health Check Core ***
Not committed yet:
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-5415 <-- better timeout
handling, patch attached
Committed, needs release:
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-4941 <-- OK/NOK-Check for
testing purposes
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-5076 <-- active flag for
HC servlet

*** Health Check Annotation ***
Not committed yet:
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-4417 <-- allow to set
immediate=true on @HealthCheck annotation

It would be great if someone could take care of it!

Regards
Georg

Re: Health Check Tickets

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 5:31 PM, Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de> wrote:
> ...For me both SLING-5415 and SLING-4941 are additions only (which add
> new functionality). Of course it would be nice to have unit tests for those, but
> those patches should not destroy existing functionality....

I would hope that we consider automated testing of new features as
more than just nice.

Especially for core modules (under /bundles in our codebase) like health checks.

I'm not convinced and still not willing to release those features without tests.

-Bertrand

Re: Health Check Tickets

Posted by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de>.
For me both SLING-5415 and SLING-4941 are additions only (which add new functionality). Of course it would be nice to have unit tests for those, but those patches should not destroy existing functionality.
If the added functionality contains some bugs it is definitely not nice, but not a regression IMHO (since that feature has not been available before).

If you already consider the old functionality of health checks being covered with sufficient unit tests/ITs we can be pretty sure, that the added functionality do not have any negative impact.

I can only talk about myself: No, I don't have any plans on adding unit tests for those issues.
Konrad

Re: Health Check Tickets

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Georg,

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Georg Henzler <sl...@ghenzler.de> wrote:
> ...I created tests for both SLING-5415 and SLING-4941...

Thanks very much for this!

I have move most of the integration tests in the core module so we can
get an aggregate coverage report (SLING-5569). I'll add a few missing
tests and release the core and annotations module soon.

-Bertrand

Re: Health Check Tickets

Posted by Georg Henzler <sl...@ghenzler.de>.
Hi Bertrand,

I created tests for both SLING-5415 and SLING-4941 (see pull requests in
tickets).

Let me know if you need more, otherwise it would be great if you could
release both hc.core and hc.annotations.

-Georg

Re: Health Check Tickets

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Health Check Tickets

Posted by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de>.
Hi Georg,
I applied both outstanding patches in SLING-5415 and SLING-4417.
Maybe someone else can take over the release part?
Konrad