Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> on 2008/12/04 19:39:36 UTC

IBM is an island (the quest for getting a websphere license continues)

So, after firing off a few emails to try to find the right people at
IBM. A sales rep from the Rational team contacted me today.

Highlight from that call -

me: "Are you familiar with the Apache project?"
rep: "No, huh-uh, never heard of it"
/sigh

She pointed me to the academic program because she said the only group
she is aware of who gives away licenses is the academic group.

The search continues...

Other updates - I discussed my plans with the legal-discuss@apache
group and feel pretty comfortable asking for a license, so I'll just
keep at it until I get some software to install.

-Wes

--
Wesley Wannemacher
President, Head Engineer/Consultant

Re: IBM is an island (the quest for getting a websphere license continues)

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Struts Two <st...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I came across the following site for "IBM Academic Initiative" that allows
> members to download IBM software for free.
>
> http://www-304.ibm.com/jct01005c/university/scholars/academicinitiative
>
> You can register as "Members of standards organizations". The program
> states that:
>
> If you are a member of a standards body with responsibility for developing
> standards, you will be required to provide the following information, which
> will be reviewed for approval:
>
>    * Your project or subcommittee in the standards organization
>    * The time period for your project
>    * How you use IBM Academic Initiative resources for standards-related
> activities
>    * Results expected from this work
>
> I have myself contacted a few folks within IBM and waiting for their reply
> as soon as I get anything I would let you know. However, the above link may
> be is what you need.

Except for the part where we are not actually members of a standards
organisation...

--
Martin Cooper

regards,

Posted by Struts Two <st...@yahoo.ca>.
> We (the Struts team) have a Solaris zone on helios, so as
> long as it runs on
> Solaris 10, we should be able to put it there.
>
> --
> Martin Cooper

Just for your information that IBM does not supply a software developer kit for HP and Sun platform. However, for Sun Solaris, Websphere application server contains an embedded copy of Sun Solaris JVM along with some IBM add-ons, such as security, XML and ORB packages. The Websphere Application Server Solaris SDK is a hybrid of Sun and IBM products and the core JVM and JIT are Sun Solaris. The same applies to HP_UX but JVM and JIT are those of HP.

for other platfrom, WAS uses IBM JVM and Software developer kit

Re: IBM is an island (the quest for getting a websphere license continues)

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: [Friday] Re: IBM is an island (the quest for getting a websphere license continues)

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 6:07 AM, Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any news on this?

I just sent a ping to see where we are...

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
Any news on this? There is a bunch of Jira tickets related to

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Is there any new information about getting a WebSphere instance?

Update - Re: [Friday] Re: IBM is an island (the quest for getting a websphere license continues)

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
So, thanks to the subscriber who goes by "Struts Two" it would seem that
I am going to see some progress on getting Websphere. Hopefully, I'll
have my hands on it soon and we can do tests before trying to go GA with
2.1.

-Wes

Posted by Struts Two <st...@yahoo.ca>.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@funkyandroid.com>.
The knee bones' connected to the thigh bone.... the thigh bones
connected to the hip bone..... (sing along if you know the words..)

Al.

Struts Two wrote:
> The legal folks in my team have directed me to Websphere Release team whose manager told me that they have someone who is IBM contact to Apache foundation. She is supposed to get back to me early next week with a name. As soon as I get anything , I would let you know.
>
> regards,

======
company number  6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London,  EC1V 2NX, UK.

subsidiaries.

Re: IBM is an island (the quest for getting a websphere license continues)

Posted by Struts Two <st...@yahoo.ca>.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Philip Luppens
<ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just a quick note on this; we've asked around over at the IBM booth,
> and they promised to get in touch with the WAS product manager (or
> project lead, heck, I forgot - what's in a name). I've given my
> contact details, so if I hear something, I'll let you know.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil

Thanks Phil! Let me know what I can do if/when you hear from them...

-Wes

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 14:26 -0800, Struts Two wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> I work at IBM and I would ask around to see if I can get any contact. We have an individual in our team who handles legal issues, I would try ask him to see if I can get any contact info. Even I as an IBMer have a hard time to find the right channel ( I have been asking around today for a few hours with no result). I will let you know if I can get something.
>>
>> regards,

Just a quick note on this; we've asked around over at the IBM booth,
and they promised to get in touch with the WAS product manager (or
project lead, heck, I forgot - what's in a name). I've given my
contact details, so if I hear something, I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Phil

> That would be awesome!
>
> I've been trying to run through the best scenario on this and it seems
> like to start, if I can get a single license for each of 6.0, 6.1 and
> 7.0, I would setup a build that deploys all the reference apps to it and
> make it available on the web.
>
> We may be able to get some space allocated on ASF hardware, which would
> be useful since it's the one thing we all have in common, but the
> downside is that there are other projects that might benefit from it. I
> want to share, but I don't want to make life difficult for the
> infrastructure crew.
>
> Anyhow, the main issue is that we should be testing on WebSphere if we
> can. So, any help we can get would be great!
>
> -Wes
>
> PS. If you get some time, try to find the sales group and let them know
> a little about apache ;)... I'm afraid I might laugh a sales person out
> of the building if he/she admitted to never having heard of us!

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand."
- Randy Pausch

Re: IBM is an island (the quest for getting a websphere license continues)

Posted by Struts Two <st...@yahoo.ca>.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.

Posted by Struts Two <st...@yahoo.ca>.
Hi:

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I can also try through my current gig, although considering how long it takes to get a paid support request handled I don't have particularly high hopes--but I'll see what I can do, if anything.
>
> Dave

Thanks Dave, I figured the worst case scenario is that they say "no."
But, I don't want to give up until I feel like I've asked the right
person. Martin suggested I contact IBMmers who are apache members, so

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.