Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Patrick McFadin <pm...@gmail.com> on 2020/04/27 05:49:11 UTC

4-26-2020 update on Kubernetes Operator

*Hi everyone,Over the past two weeks, we have had 4 public meetings with a
lot of great discussions. You can find the recordings and notes here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/Cassandra+Kubernetes+Operator+SIG
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/Cassandra+Kubernetes+Operator+SIG>There
were some important next steps after this week. First is some housekeeping.
Having two meetings allowed for better time zone spread, but the
discussions were disconnected and tended to be somewhat redundant. It was
suggested to move to a single meeting that can span the most timezones. I
took that feedback and have rebuilt the SIG meeting schedules in the same
type of rotation being used for the Contributor Meetings. We’ll see how
that goes for everyone effected. I’ve also switched away from Zoom to Jitsi
(jitsi.org <http://jitsi.org>). Switching to a more open video conferencing
software seemed like a natural move and the feature list is comparable to
Zoom.All the meeting details and schedule are posted here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/Cassandra+Kubernetes+Operator+SIG
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/Cassandra+Kubernetes+Operator+SIG>This
includes a calendar file and shared calendar link. Next important thing is
the beginning of the CEP for the Kubernetes Operator. Ben Bromhead and I
took a first pass at a skeleton for CEP-2
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/CEP-2+Kubernetes+Operator>
with all the basics. At this point, we need everyone participating in the
project to take some time and help build out some of the critical details.
Because everyone loves Confluence so much, I have created a Google doc we
can use as a working area before moving over to a more formal Cassandra
Wiki.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18Ow4R3tB9GIvdcFO7WmUvjb0a-sT6h0zSCEnfHsPz58/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/18Ow4R3tB9GIvdcFO7WmUvjb0a-sT6h0zSCEnfHsPz58/edit?usp=sharing>Everyone
has edit rights. Please use the comment functionality if you have questions
about a particular section.The main portion that really needs the most
thoughtful work is Operator Capability Level
<https://github.com/operator-framework/operator-sdk/blob/master/doc/operator-capabilities.md>.
What does each level mean in Cassandra terms. There was already some good
debate about configuration and common tasks like repair. Let’s get that
captured in the doc if we can. If you are one of the groups that already
have an operator, your experience here is invaluable. Please take some time
of you can. Thanks and looking forward to the collaboration. Patrick*

Re: 4-26-2020 update on Kubernetes Operator

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@wikimedia.org>.
On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 2:30 AM Dinesh Joshi <dj...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> Thanks for driving the meetings. It would be good to have the on going
> discussions on the dev list for people in time zones that cannot attend the
> meetings in real time.

+1

I would never (try to) tell anyone that they cannot teleconference with
like-minded peers, but it feels worth mentioning that this format will
never be totally inclusive.

Eric Evans (he/him)
Senior Software Engineer, Core Platform
Wikimedia Foundation
eevans@wikimedia.org

Re: 4-26-2020 update on Kubernetes Operator

Posted by Dinesh Joshi <dj...@apache.org>.
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for driving the meetings. It would be good to have the on going discussions on the dev list for people in time zones that cannot attend the meetings in real time.

Dinesh

Posted by Stefan Miklosovic <st...@instaclustr.com>.
Hi Deepak,

thanks for your contribution.

When it comes to cloud services / different providers, that is
something we could tackle with some (simple) "test suite" against all
main clouds, yes. However, from my experience this is not too
critical. It does not differ a lot if you run  your cluster on AWS,
GCP or Azure (mentioning the most used cloud providers). Unless you do
something very specific there are no differences. Some differences are
about how persistent volumes are attached, what permissions have to be
there and what storage classes to use etc, yes, this is "cloud
specific" and relatively easy to handle, however, apart from this, I
would say that there were not any big issues. It was even reported to
me that it run on IBM cloud without any effort on our side so ...
After all, it is Kubernetes which is an abstraction to run services on
so they should be transparently movable from one cloud to another
without anybody noticing a thing.

Testing should be more focused on respective Kubernetes versions.
Operator SDK is using the Kubernetes API of some version. Obviously,
as SDK is being developed, so is the Kubernetes API version it is
pinned-down to updated. From my experience if  you do not use anything
specific and fairly low-level, you can run pretty much the latest
version of Operator SDK against quite old Kubernetes clusters but
there is not any guarantee that things will not start to fail appart
more recent SDK you use.

If we want to do federation between these clouds, that is something I
do not have any experience with whatsoever.

Posted by Deepak Vohra <dv...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by John Sanda <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Deepak,

During the last SIG meetings, both repair and backup/restore were discussed
in the context of lifecycle management. The Instaclustr operator already
has backup/restore capabilities which are documented here
<http://Instaclustr operator> (in full disclosure, I have never used the
operator, just aware of the feature). Medusa
<https://github.com/thelastpickle/cassandra-medusa> is another possibility.
There have been a couple discussions in tickets in the medusa repo. Just
wanted to point out that it is definitely on the radar.

- John

Re: 4-26-2020 update on Kubernetes Operator

Posted by Deepak Vohra <dv...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 Updated CEP-2:

Posted by Stefan Miklosovic <st...@instaclustr.com>.
Hi Deepak,