Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Ovidiu-Cristian MARCU <ov...@inria.fr> on 2016/05/16 12:18:20 UTC

What / Where / When / How questions in Spark 2.0 ?

Hi,

We can see in [2] many interesting (and expected!) improvements (promises) like extended SQL support, unified API (DataFrames, DataSets), improved engine (Tungsten relates to ideas from modern compilers and MPP databases - similar to Flink [3]), structured streaming etc. It seems we somehow assist at a smart unification of Big Data analytics (Spark, Flink - best of two worlds)!

How does Spark respond to the missing What/Where/When/How questions (capabilities) highlighted in the unified model Beam [1] ?

Best,
Ovidiu

[1] https://cloud.google.com/blog/big-data/2016/05/why-apache-beam-a-google-perspective <https://cloud.google.com/blog/big-data/2016/05/why-apache-beam-a-google-perspective>
[2] https://databricks.com/blog/2016/05/11/spark-2-0-technical-preview-easier-faster-and-smarter.html <https://databricks.com/blog/2016/05/11/spark-2-0-technical-preview-easier-faster-and-smarter.html>
[3] http://stratosphere.eu/project/publications/ <http://stratosphere.eu/project/publications/>

Re: What / Where / When / How questions in Spark 2.0 ?

Posted by Amit Sela <am...@gmail.com>.
I need to update this ;)
To start with, you could just take a look at branch-2.0.

Posted by Ovidiu-Cristian MARCU <ov...@inria.fr>.

Posted by Ovidiu-Cristian MARCU <ov...@inria.fr>.