Posted to user@ranger.apache.org by Jon Morisi <Jo...@hsc.utah.edu> on 2018/07/03 16:45:56 UTC

Solr (6.6.2) to Ranger (0.7.0) with SSL enabled

Hi,
I'm having a heck of a time getting Solr (6.6.2) to talk to Ranger (0.7.0) when Ranger is SSL enabled.  (Solr is also SSL enabled)
Anyone seen a walkthrough on configuring this?
Are the versions I've mentioned compatible over SSL?

I just can't seem to get my settings right in the ranger-policymgr-ssl.xml file.  I receive errors like these:

org.apache.ranger.authorization.hadoop.utils.RangerCredentialProvider (RangerCredentialProvider.java:72) - Unable to get the Credential Provider from the Configuration
org.apache.ranger.plugin.util.RangerRESTClient (RangerRESTClient.java:286) - Unable to obtain keystore from file .../ranger-admin-keystore.jks]
org.apache.ranger.plugin.util.RangerRESTClient (RangerRESTClient.java:341) - Unable to read the necessary SSL Keystore and TrustStore Files
                java.io.IOException: Keystore was tampered with, or password was incorrect

I received that last one when I know I had the correct password.

Thanks,
Jon

Re: Solr (6.6.2) to Ranger (0.7.0) with SSL enabled

Posted by Ramesh Mani <rm...@hortonworks.com>.
Jon,

One question is when did you get this error? Is it that the Solr Ranger plugin failed to download the policy? Do you see the error  in Solr log?

If so you can refer this https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSPT3X_4.2.0/com.ibm.swg.im.infosphere.biginsights.admin.doc/doc/admin_ranger_ssl_selfsigned_plugins.html where it gives the steps to configure Ranger plugin for SSL. Here you will refer both Ranger Admin and plugins  Keystore / truststore.

If you are seeing this error while Ranger admin is coming up after enabling SSL for ranger then, you can refer https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSPT3X_4.2.0/com.ibm.swg.im.infosphere.biginsights.admin.doc/doc/admin_ranger_ssl_selfsigned_admin.html

This is for Self-signed certificate and for testing you can do the same.

Regards,
Ramesh

From: Jon Morisi <Jo...@hsc.utah.edu>>
Date: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 12:59 PM
To: "user@ranger.apache.org<ma...@ranger.apache.org>" <us...@ranger.apache.org>>
Subject: RE: Solr (6.6.2) to Ranger (0.7.0) with SSL enabled

I’ve disabled Solr SSL and restarted solr services.  I am referencing the ranger-plugin-keystore and ranger-plugin-truststore files.  I’ve set permissions to 777 on those, but I can’t seem to get past this error:
“Unable to read the necessary SSL Keystore and TrustStore Files”.

Should I be referencing the admin keystore / truststore files vs. the plugin keystore / truststore files?

From: Jon Morisi <Jo...@hsc.utah.edu>>
Date: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 10:22 AM
To: "user@ranger.apache.org<ma...@ranger.apache.org>" <us...@ranger.apache.org>>

?         This is NOT audit to solr

?         I am running solr cloud

?         My cluster is kerberized

Taken from here: https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/15159/securing-solr-collections-with-ranger-kerberos.html

yum -y install ranger_*-solr-plugin.x86_64
./enable-solr-plugin.sh

I’m then editing two files:

1.       ranger-policymgr-ssl.xml

2.       security.json

ranger-policymgr-ssl.xml has my ssl config values for:
xasecure.policymgr.clientssl.keystore
xasecure.policymgr.clientssl.keystore.credential.file
xasecure.policymgr.clientssl.keystore.password
xasecure.policymgr.clientssl.truststore
xasecure.policymgr.clientssl.truststore.credential.file
xasecure.policymgr.clientssl.truststore.password

security.json is uploaded to ZK to enable authorization.
{"authentication": {"class": "org.apache.solr.security.KerberosPlugin"},"authorization":{"class": "org.apache.ranger.authorization.solr.authorizer.RangerSolrAuthorizer"}}

How are you installing the Ranger plugin for Solr?

Thanks

Bosco

Posted by Jon Morisi <Jo...@hsc.utah.edu>.

Posted by Jon Morisi <Jo...@hsc.utah.edu>.
HDP-2.6.4.0
Solr (6.6.2)
Ranger (0.7.0)

From: Jon Morisi <Jo...@hsc.utah.edu>
Date: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 10:22 AM
To: "user@ranger.apache.org" <us...@ranger.apache.org>

This is NOT audit to solr
I am running solr cloud
My cluster is kerberized

Taken from here: https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/15159/securing-solr-collections-with-ranger-kerberos.html

yum -y install ranger_*-solr-plugin.x86_64

./enable-solr-plugin.sh

I’m then editing two files:
ranger-policymgr-ssl.xml

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.