Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/10/20 21:23:14 UTC

Another logo needs updating: "Get it here!"

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-it-here.html

This logo has an integrated incubator reference in it as well.

I think Drew made the most recent version of this.

Anyone have the source, or can easily respin it without the "incubator" block?

Thanks!

-Rob

Re: Another logo needs updating: "Get it here!"

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Since it seems allowed, it would be nicer to have the same logo.

I understand that we have to consider the legal aspect, but seen purely
from a users point of view, one logo means one product.

jan.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le 21/10/2012 21:18, RGB ES a écrit :
> CC to Hagar, because he proposed the download logo used on the forums:
>
> http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?p=238128#p238128
>
> See below for more details
[...]
> Hy, Hagar. There is a discussion on the MLs about a new "download button" (without the incubator part) and the download logo you built for the forums seems a really good starting point. Do you still have the source file?

Hi Ricardo,

The one on the forum is the source file. I just used the different logos available in the different areas of the site and assembled them to make the pic.
So there is no SVG version, just that one in .png

Hagar

Re: Another logo needs updating: "Get it here!"

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 10/20/2012 03:12 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 5:09 PM, RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2012/10/20 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

>>> the
>>>>

>>> Sorry for the slang.   By "respin" I meant taking whatever vector
>>> source file (SVG, perhaps) that Drew used for that button originally,
>>> and then remove the "incubator" block and regenerate a bitmap for us
>>> to put on the website.
>>>
>>> It was intentional, at least at the time, for the "Get it here!"
>>> graphic to be distinct from the official project logo.  This was to
>>> avoid diluting the trademark.  We wanted the official project logo to
>>> be associated with the official website.  So if users saw it they knew
>>> they were dealing with an official project site.   We would then have
>>> thematically-related logos that could be used for various affiliate
>>> uses, such as on personal websites.  That was the purpose of the "Get
>>> it here!" logo.
>>>
>>> But that was then, this is now.   As I understand it now, ASF policy
>>> has evolved in this area, and it appears permissible for websites to
>>> use logo, provided they follow these rules:
>>> http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#integrateswith
>>>
>>> But IMHO, the "Get it here!" button is still useful, since its size
>>> and aspect ratio, as well as the beveling, make it ideal for a
>>> download button.
>>>
>>> -Rob

>> What about the one we use on the forums?
>>
>> http://forum.openoffice.org/es/forum/styles/prosilver/imageset/AOO-download.png
>>
>> It is the same from the web site plus the traditional "download arrow" on
>> top of the orb. Simple and clear.
>>

> It certainly could be the basis of a download button. But in its
> current form it is flat, not really a "button".  Compare with Drew's
> "Get it here!" button, with the beveled edges, etc.

Well hopefully the source for "Get it here" will turn up soonish...it's
really very nice.

>> Regards
>> Ricardo

MzK

  dealt with a cat."
                                -- Robert Heinlein

Re: Another logo needs updating: "Get it here!"

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM, jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > If we want to have the same logo all over, respin I assume would not do
> the
> > job ?
> >

> Sorry for the slang.   By "respin" I meant taking whatever vector
> source file (SVG, perhaps) that Drew used for that button originally,
> and then remove the "incubator" block and regenerate a bitmap for us
> to put on the website.

Should wait for drew to answer this. I bet he has the source of everything.
Weekends are not always the best time to count on quick replies.

> It was intentional, at least at the time, for the "Get it here!"
> graphic to be distinct from the official project logo.  This was to
> avoid diluting the trademark.  We wanted the official project logo to
> be associated with the official website.  So if users saw it they knew
> they were dealing with an official project site.   We would then have
> thematically-related logos that could be used for various affiliate
> uses, such as on personal websites.  That was the purpose of the "Get
> it here!" logo.

Was tehre any documentation about this? For example the Visual Design page
on marketing did show the diferent themed logos Xmass, OOoCon, Download,
etc. Maybe on cwiki?

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: Another logo needs updating: "Get it here!"

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 10/25/2012 04:58 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> oh boy...while looking around just now, it seems we DO have an svg file of
>>> Get it here! *without* incubator on it --
>>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/**images/AOO_logos/svg/get-aoo_**300x100.svg<http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/svg/get-aoo_300x100.svg>
>>>
>>> if this is any use ...
>>>

>> Ok, we still need to do cleanup on this one.
>>
>> Do we want to replace--
>>
>>   http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/images/get-it-here/en.png
>>
>> with a link to a 300x100 rendering (without the beveled edges, so older I
>> suspect), at:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/get-aoo-300x100.png
>>

> OK.  That's why I did for now.  It is same size and everything.
>
> -Rob

thanks...since you were the primary contact on this, I hesitated to do
this if there were objections. I am not sufficiently talented to add
bevels to this image, but I hope someone is.

>> we have .svg for this if someone wants to re-bevel.
>>

>>> --
>>> ------------
>>>
>>> MzK
>>>
>>> "Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never
>>>   dealt with a cat."
>>>                                 -- Robert Heinlein
>>>

>> --
>> MzK
>>
>> "Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never
>>   dealt  with a cat."
>>                                                  -- Robert Heinlein

MzK

  dealt with a cat."
                                -- Robert Heinlein

Re: Another logo needs updating: "Get it here!"

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/20/2012 12:23 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/**openofficeorg/get-it-here.html<http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-it-here.html>
>>
>> This logo has an integrated incubator reference in it as well.
>>
>> I think Drew made the most recent version of this.
>>
>> Anyone have the source, or can easily respin it without the "incubator"
>> block?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> oh boy...while looking around just now, it seems we DO have an svg file of
> Get it here! *without* incubator on it --
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/**images/AOO_logos/svg/get-aoo_**300x100.svg<http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/svg/get-aoo_300x100.svg>
>
> if this is any use ...

Ok, we still need to do cleanup on this one.

Do we want to replace--

 http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/images/get-it-here/en.png

with a link to a 300x100 rendering (without the beveled edges, so older I
suspect), at:

http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/get-aoo-300x100.png

we have .svg for this if someone wants to re-bevel.

> MzK
>
> "Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never
>  dealt with a cat."
>                                -- Robert Heinlein

MzK

 dealt  with a cat."
                                                -- Robert Heinlein

Re: Another logo needs updating: "Get it here!"

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.