Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2011/11/02 00:12:07 UTC

Re: multiple dateranges/timeslots per doc: modeling openinghours.

: This would need 2*3*100 = 600 dynamicfields to cover the openinghours. You
: mention this is peanuts for constructing a booleanquery, but how about
: memory consumption?
: I'm particularly concerned about the Lucene FieldCache getting populated for
: each of the 600 fields. (Since I had some nasty OOM experiences with that in
: the past. 2-3 years ago memory consumption of Lucene FieldCache couldn't be
: controlled, I'm not sure how that is now to be honest)
:
: I will not be sorting on any of the 600 dynamicfields btw. Instead I will
: only use them as part of the above booleanquery, which I will likely define
: as a Filter Query.
: Just to be sure, in this situation, Lucene FieldCache won't be touched,
: correct? If so, this will probably be a good workable solution!

correct.  searching on fields doesn't use the FieldCache (unless you are
doing a function query - you aren't in this case) so the memory usage of
FieldCache wouldn't be a factor here at all.

-Hoss