Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by "Tieman,Brian" <Br...@Cerner.com> on 2017/04/25 18:32:50 UTC

Optimal value for leader.imbalance.check.interval.seconds on a large cluster?

We have a 50 node Kafka cluster that manages thousands of partitions.  We’re interested in optimizing the auto unbalanced leadership election during rolling restarts of the cluster.  We have an automated process that performs broker restarts one by one.  After each restart the process verifies that all partition replicas on the broker are back in sync and then verifies that all the leadership partitions have been moved back to the broker before allowing the process to move on and restart the next broker in the cluster.

The default value for leader.imbalance.check.interval.seconds is 300s.  That implies that, on average, we’re waiting 150s after the broker is fully in sync before auto leadership election triggers and moves preferred leaders back.  This could add nearly 2 hours to a full cluster restart.  We’d like to decrease leader.imbalance.check.interval.seconds as much as possible without causing instabilities in the cluster.

Is there documentation somewhere on how to tune leader.imbalance.check.interval.seconds for larger clusters?  We don’t understand what impacts this value has on the cluster as a whole.  I’m assuming setting it to 1s is ludicrous ☺but at the same time we’d like to trim it down as much as we reasonably can.

Thanks all!

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This message and any included attachments are from Cerner Corporation and are intended only for the addressee. The information contained in this message is confidential and may constitute inside or non-public information under international, federal, or state securities laws. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you may call Cerner's corporate offices in Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A at (+1) (816)221-1024.