Posted to current-testers@httpd.apache.org by Greg Ames <gr...@remulak.net> on 2001/11/15 22:24:06 UTC

Apache 2.0.28 Beta is now available!

Apache 2.0.28 Released as Beta
------------------------------

The Apache Group is proud to announce the twenty-eighth release
of Apache 2.0.  This is the second public beta of Apache 2.0.
This release has been tested thoroughly and has been running the
apache.org web site since Nov. 9, 2001.

Apache 2.0 offers numerous enhancements, improvements and performance
boosts over the 1.3 code base.  The most visible and noteworthy addition
is the ability to run Apache in a hybrid thread/process mode on any
platform that supports both threads and processes.  This has been shown
to improve the scalability of the Apache HTTPD server significantly on
some versions of Unix in our testing.  Apache 2.0 also includes support
for filtered I/O.  This allows modules to modify the output of other
modules before it is sent to the client.  Finally, we have included
support for IPv6 on any platform that supports IPv6.

This version of Apache is known to work on many versions of Unix, BeOS,
OS/2, and Windows.  Because of many of the advancements in Apache 2.0,
this release of Apache is expected to perform equally well on all
supported platforms.

Apache has been the most popular web server on the Internet since
April of 1996. The October 2001 WWW server site survey by Netcraft
(http://www.netcraft.com/survey/) found that more web servers were
using Apache than any other software running on more than 56% of the
Internet web servers.

You can download Apache 2.0.28 from http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/.
For more information, please check out http://httpd.apache.org/.

Changes since the last public release
-------------------------------------

There have been over 200 major changes and many more minor changes since
the Apache 2.0.16 beta release.  These include numerous performance and
functional enhancements, as well as bug fixes.  For a list of the major
changes, please see http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/CHANGES_2.0

Known issues with this release
------------------------------

  *) There is a bug which can cause the response headers to be
     omitted when sending a negotiated ErrorDocument because
     the required filters were attached to the wrong request_rec.
     This can affect installations which enable authentication
     on / or /error, among others.  A workaround is to comment out
     the ErrorDocument 401 directive in the default config file.
     A patch for this problem has already been committed to CVS
     and will be included in the next release.  The patch is
     available at:

http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/patches/apply_to_2.0.28/errordoc.patch

  *) MacOSX users must use the darwin-specific tarball, which was built
     with a version of libtool that is compatible with that platform.

  *) The MacOSX/Darwin port currently does not support DSOs.

  *) On MacOSX/Darwin, "make" may generate many warning messages such
as:

     /usr/bin/ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _regcomp

/Users/gregames/httpd-2_0_28/srclib/pcre/.libs/libpcre.al(pcreposix.lo)
          definition of _regcomp in section (__TEXT,__text)
     /usr/lib/libm.dylib(regcomp.o) definition of _regcomp/

     These messages may be ignored.

  *) On MacOSX/Darwin, Apache doesn't correctly handle the case-
     insensitive file system (HFS+), which can lead to access
     control problems.

  *) There is a known problem when ProxyPass is used in combination with
     mod_include; including a remote file from another remote file does
     not currently work.

  *) On BSDi, if you re-run configure, make will fail with messages
like:
     "/usr/src/httpd-2_0_28/build/rules.mk, line 57: Need an operator".
     A workaround for this problem is to execute the following commands
     from the httpd-2_0_28 directory, after which make will work
correctly:
        $ rm bsd_converted
        $ build/bsd_makefile

  These issues will be addressed in a future release.

  Please refer to the Apache bug database at http://bugs.apache.org/ for
  information about problems not addressed here.

Re: Apache 2.0.28 Beta is now available!

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 09:14:43PM -0500, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, David Reid wrote:
> >
> > > OK, so there has been one negative comment about my patch to fix this,
does
> > > anyone else have an opinion?
> >
> > I personally think Roy's idea is a bit cleaner... but yours is
definitely
> > easier to implement [and I don't have time to implement Roy's right now
> > :], so +0.9.
>
> And my idea can be just as easily implemented after this fix is put in,
> so no worries there.  My only question is whether or not David's patch
will
> work given the vagaries of m4 macros.  I haven't had time to test it
> (too many other things to clean up).

Well, that's an issue :(  However, it does seem to work and the code is
basically the same as that we were using...

Aaron mentioned earlier in the week about SSL libs and the need to add them,
and I think that with my patch adding them becomes easier (as we use the
AC_OUTPUT to generate the makefiles).

david

Re: Apache 2.0.28 Beta is now available!

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@ebuilt.com>.
On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 09:14:43PM -0500, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, David Reid wrote:
>
> > OK, so there has been one negative comment about my patch to fix this, does
> > anyone else have an opinion?
>
> I personally think Roy's idea is a bit cleaner... but yours is definitely
> easier to implement [and I don't have time to implement Roy's right now
> :], so +0.9.

And my idea can be just as easily implemented after this fix is put in,
so no worries there.  My only question is whether or not David's patch will
work given the vagaries of m4 macros.  I haven't had time to test it
(too many other things to clean up).

....Roy

Re: Apache 2.0.28 Beta is now available!

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.
On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, David Reid wrote:

> OK, so there has been one negative comment about my patch to fix this, does
> anyone else have an opinion?

I personally think Roy's idea is a bit cleaner... but yours is definitely
easier to implement [and I don't have time to implement Roy's right now
:], so +0.9.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA

Re: Apache 2.0.28 Beta is now available!

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.