Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/29 23:32:29 UTC

Fwd: Multilingual Content (forwarded from apachecon planners discussion)

I think this may be worth a discussion here. I am totally in favor of being more inclusive by having presentations about Apache in multiple languages.

There have been many presentations to non-English-native-listeners about Apache topics.

I am a small bit concerned that translations of presentations might not fully capture the content of the original. Seeing a presentation in English by an English speaker and seeing the translated presentation in e.g. Chinese by a Chinese speaker is possibly not a good way to verify that the message was completely translated.

Would it be too much to ask for such presentations to include on each slide both the English and Chinese? I understand that there are challenges with this approach but it would perhaps make it easier to verify that the translation is topic-by-topic. It might also make "the same talk in two recordings" easier to implement.

Regards,
Craig

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>
> Subject: Multilangual Content
> Date: May 29, 2020 at 4:10:04 AM PDT
> To: "planners@apachecon.com" <pl...@apachecon.com>
>
> Hi all,
>
> I considered organizing a Track for the IoTDB project. This project is (like others also) with strong community in China. And we are „bilateral“ in the project as we try to provide enough information in both languages that also the not-so-fluent english speaking Chinese Community can follow.
>
> Would it be possible to have presentations / videos in other Languages? Or probably the same talk in two recordings?
> Are there general objections with the idea? I think this could be really cool for projects like IoTDB to reach the Chinese Community.
>
> Julian

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Multilingual Content (forwarded from apachecon planners discussion)

Posted by "zhangliang@apache.org" <zh...@apache.org>.
+1.
It's better for prepare the slides in English and doing the presentation
in Chinese.

------------------

Liang Zhang (John)
Apache ShardingSphere & Dubbo

Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> 于2020年6月1日周一 下午8:59写道:

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
We did the same for latest ALC Warsaw meetup. Presentation in English,
speaking Polish.

J.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 9:53 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 5:06 AM lidong dai <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > it's easy to implement for prepare the slides in English and doing the
> presentation in Chinese...
>
> FWIW, I'm often doing that when presenting in French which is my
> mother tongue and that works well.
>
> Also, I think having less text on one's slides very often makes them
> better ;-)
>
> -Bertrand

+48 660 796 129

Re: Multilingual Content (forwarded from apachecon planners discussion)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by lidong dai <da...@gmail.com>.
+1
it's easy to implement for prepare the slides in English and doing the
presentation
in Chinese. I think we can try

Best Regards
---------------
DolphinScheduler(Incubator) PPMC
Lidong Dai 代立冬
dailidong66@gmail.com
---------------

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Fwd: Multilingual Content (forwarded from apachecon planners discussion)

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

+1 for the idea.

> I am a small bit concerned that translations of presentations might not
fully capture the content of the original.

Indeed you can never get absolutely the same info from two persons, but I
think this concern can be eliminated
by the effort of the community cooperation more or less.

For example, if someone wants to share experiences of some project to the
community in non-English (e.g., Chinese),
then there must be some Chinese guys in the project community and some of
them know English well.
Then, they can discuss how to translate the content before the talk  and
try to reduce the loss of information.

Best,
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University