Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com> on 2001/01/31 00:49:39 UTC

[Proposal] on bugzila components

In case you hadn't noticed, Bugzilla is now up for Xerces-J.

We still need to decide what the components should be.

Here's an initial stab at a set of components, based on whats in CVS

Core
DOM
HTMLDOM
WMLDOM
SAX
JAXP
Serialization
Samples
Docs
Tests

Ted

Re: [Proposal] on bugzila components

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Yes, that's an immediate oversight.  How about:

Schema-Structures
Schema-Datatypes

Ted

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.

Re: JAXP support (was Re: [Proposal] on bugzila components)

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
Edwin Goei wrote:

> Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
> >
> > By the way, Edwin, when do you plan to actually fix the JAXP support in
> > Xerces? You committed to do it a long time ago but you haven't done it.
> > If you don't plan to actually do it you should let us know, so somebody
> > else can pick it up. As I understand this prevents people from using
> > Xerces with Tomcat.
>
> I've already commited the code.  See my other posting.

Great! Thanks Edwin.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - IBM Cupertino, XML Strategy Group

Re: JAXP support (was Re: [Proposal] on bugzila components)

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

> By the way, Edwin, when do you plan to actually fix the JAXP support in
> Xerces? You committed to do it a long time ago but you haven't done it.
> If you don't plan to actually do it you should let us know, so somebody
> else can pick it up. As I understand this prevents people from using
> Xerces with Tomcat.

I've already commited the code.  See my other posting.

Regarding Tomcat, I spoke to someone about that and it does not appear
to be Xerces or JAXP releated, but is a Tomcat classloading issue.  I
think they said it was fixed in tomcat 4 and will be fixed in tomcat
3.3.  The problem is that tomcat will ignore xerces.jar (or any parser
for that matter) when it is part of a web application's war file.  The
workaround is to put xerces.jar in the main classpath that tomcat uses.
At least that was what I was told.

-Edwin

JAXP support (was Re: [Proposal] on bugzila components)

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
Edwin Goei wrote:

> Ted Leung wrote:
> >
> > Would it really be that much more work to look in a wrappers component?
> > I'm just trying to keep the number of components to a managable number.
>
> My concern is for the users who will be filing the bugs.  I'm not sure
> they would understand what goes in a "wrappers" category.  I'd prefer to
> have a separate category for JAXP because it's an API that users are
> exposed to just like SAX or DOM.  Maybe we should also have an "other"
> category also for users who are unsure where to place bugs and for new
> components that get added later.

By the way, Edwin, when do you plan to actually fix the JAXP support in
Xerces? You committed to do it a long time ago but you haven't done it.
If you don't plan to actually do it you should let us know, so somebody
else can pick it up. As I understand this prevents people from using
Xerces with Tomcat.
Thanks.

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
Ted Leung wrote:

> Personally: If we're going to put all the "wrappers" into Other, we might as
> well.

I'm still not clear on what you consider is a "wrapper".  If you mean
any class that is in org.apache.xerces.parsers, then I'm not sure what
the value of that would be.  The person filing the bug would have to
know that the problem lies in that package and the classes in that
package aren't really part of any standard API.  But I'm +0 with having
a "wrappers" category if you think this is useful -- assuming my guess
above is correct.  I guess it may be useful for developers, but then the
developer would have to know the definition of "wrapper".

> Realistically: There's probably a lot of people who would do better
> reporting
> bugs against a JAXP component.

I'm confused by this statement.  Doesn't this support the need for a
"JAXP" category?

For example, a user is using JAXP 1.1 and put Xerces on their classpath,
but when the app tries to use the platform default parser using the JAXP
API in javax.xml.parsers, it does not get Xerces, but some other
parser.  This would get filed uner JAXP.

For another example, a user is using SAX to create a parser and is using
SAXParserFactory.createSAXParser(String) and gets some exception.  This
would get filed under "SAX".

Example 3, a user encounters a bug, but does not know where to file it
or it is part of a new component so they file it under "Other".  Someone
later might change it to the appropriate category.

What sorts of bugs would get filed under "wrappers"?

> So for me:
>
> Wrappers: +1
> JAXP: +0

So my vote would be:

JAXP: +1
Other: +1
Wrappers: +0

-Edwin

Re: [Proposal] on bugzila components

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.

Posted by Elena Litani <hl...@jtcsv.com>.
Hi, Ted
Can you please post an "updated" list of components?

Thanks,
Elena

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
Andy Clark wrote:

> Ted Leung wrote:
> > Wrappers, includes org.apache.xerces.parsers and org.apache.xerces.jaxp
>
> Is the term "Wrappers" confusing to anyone else? I don't think
> people will know that it includes parsers and such.

It is to me also.  Maybe it should be eliminated because people won't
easily know what bugs to file under that category.

-Edwin

Re: [Proposal] on bugzila components

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
Elena Litani wrote:

> Do we really need JAXP component?

I would say so because I don't see a clear category that it would fit
under otherwise.

-Edwin

Re: [Proposal] on bugzila components

Posted by Elena Litani <hl...@jtcsv.com>.
Hi,

How about instead of 'wrappers' to have "Parsers" component?

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Here's a revised list of bugzilla components

Core - includes org.apache.xerces.{framework,readers,scanners,util,utils}
DOM
HTMLDOM
WMLDOM
SAX
Wrappers, includes org.apache.xerces.parsers and org.apache.xerces.jaxp
DTD
Schema-Structures
Schema-Datatypes
Serialization