Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2009/03/20 00:33:28 UTC

Re: metadata schema was: [vote] Maven 2.1.0

Hmm, why was this added? We don't use a validating parser, and nobody
really edits them by hand. With network traffic on these files at a
premium for downloads I would think it's best left out to save some
bytes.

(I don't consider it a blocker to the vote though, and with regard to
my vote, I'm still testing :)

- Brett

On 20/03/2009, at 8:26 AM, Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> John Casey wrote:
>
>> It looks like Maven 2.1.0 is ready to release.
>
> I noticed that the maven-metadata*.xml files generated by 2.1.0
> include the schema location and point at
>
>  http://maven.apache.org/xsd/metadata-1.0.0.xsd
>
> which is currently non-existent. I assume this XSD will be deployed
> once the vote has passed?
>

> Benjamin

Brett Porter
brett@apache.org
http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Re: metadata schema was: [vote] Maven 2.1.0

Posted by he...@free.fr.
this was added in r745216, when upgrading to Modello 1.0: see [1] for the
precise modification.

Selon Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>:

> Hmm, why was this added?
The modello-maven-plugin is configured to generate an XML Schema, then I had to
add the xml.schemaLocation configuration to avoid a failure.

Since the schema was generated, I added xml.namespace configuration to use it:
see [2] for explanations in Modello.

> We don't use a validating parser, and nobody
> really edits them by hand. With network traffic on these files at a
> premium for downloads I would think it's best left out to save some
> bytes.
I agree with every argument here.
An easy way to have things done is to rename xml.namespace to xsd.namespace:
generated xsd won't change, but it won't be used any more when writing XML
content.
Another solution is to fully remove xsd generation, since we don't consider it
useful here.
Just tell me what you consider the good thing to do, and I'll do the changes.

There are other models that have been changed in r745216: same choice has to be
done for them.

Regards,

Hervé

[1]