Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Dave Biggar <da...@sympatico.ca> on 2001/10/29 00:16:13 UTC

[cocoon 1.8.2 Tomcat] New Site

The pages:

    " http://javalets.com:8080/cocoon/FirstQuery/arboretum.xml"

are the framework for my new and ongoing 'arboretum' project.

I wanted a framework to illustrate an arboretum -- scientific and
common names of the trees, a brief description of the trees, and
lots of photos in different seasons.

I wanted the page to show the information/photo gallery for any
particular 'genus/species/season' so it had to be interactive. For
me, that means frames/javascript.

I wanted to incorporate a database containing  the tree information
(but jpg would not be stored in the database).

I have no idea how many different ways there are to do the above
but I decided on xml, xsl, css, cocoon, esql (with Mysql database),
jdk1.3.1, Tomcat. I use 'xsp logic' to handle passing arguments to xml;
I expect I might make more use of xsp. Evidently browser sniffing
is easy with cocoon and I will incorporate that in the new future.

Comments welcome!

Dave Biggar

http://www.javalets.com/

Re: [cocoon 1.8.2 Tomcat] New Site

Posted by Jesper Rasmussen <jr...@weburb.net>.
Hi, there
I dont know if this would be a good idea, but....
do you know about TopicMaps? or more specific the xml version XTM?
(see http://www.topicmaps.org/)
Shortly XTM is a xml standard which describes a topicmap which is a
semantic map, which again is a graph of topics and associations.
I find it very usefull as a mean to define the structure and relationship
between information nodes or topic.
A very good api for java (TM4J) exists.

In the solution im curently building i use it defining menues, newsboard
message relationships,.....
I have previously used it to represent the relationships, in a
newsgroup/mail list, between message, from, to and thread, in order to
visualize it.

Why am i advocation it? Because it is a fantastic way to give meaning to
information. But more important that it will be even more interesting when
many uses it and generic browsers exist.

cheers
Jeser