Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Kseniya Romanova <ks...@apache.org> on 2021/12/22 13:50:30 UTC

[COMMUNITY] Apache Ignite Community Recap and Celebration of Project Evangelists

Hi, Igniters!

As 2021 comes to a close, let's review and celebrate the amazing
community-driven contributions that made Apache Ignite better throughout
the year:

—  The community produced 2 releases 2.10 and 2.11 (2.12 is on its way)
which introduced:
‒   Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) technology - the Cache Key Rotation
machinery. From now on the Apache Ignite fully satisfies the PCI DSS[1],
which requires the protection of stored data at rest;
‒   Significant improvements to Ignite thin clients: Added async API,
Kubernetes discovery, extended transaction, cluster and SQL API for various
platforms, added Continuous Query support, partition awareness, and more;
‒   Change Data Capture (CDC) support, which allows users to build their
deployments on a new type of architecture - asynchronous data replication
between clusters;
‒   IndexQuery API, which enables building fast index queries over build-in
Ignite indexes. Unlike SQL, it works without the overhead for queries
parsing and planning

—  Ignite 3.0 Alphas were released [2][3]
—  We welcomed 10 new committers and 1 PMC member

Check and celebrate the most active code contributors here:
‒  Core and Documentation[4]
‒  Extensions[5]
‒  Ignite website[6]

— Downloads for 2021 exceeded downloads for 2020 by 65%, with hundreds of
thousands of downloads per month.
— The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)  ranked Ignite second on the Top 5
Big Data user lists, third on the Top 5 Big Data dev lists, second on the
Top 5 user lists, and third on the Top 5 repos by size [7][8]
—  In DB-Engines Ranking[9], Apache Ignite gained nine points (December
2021 versus December 2020).
—  The Apache Ignite website was updated and improved [10].
—  The community organized 13 Ignite meetups[11].
—  Ignite Summit[12] was hosted first in May and then in November—with 33
speakers, 8 pre-conference training, and 700 attendees.
—  Fifty-eight developers contributed to Project Awareness by creating
blogs, tutorials, and demos and by presenting at online and offline events
worldwide.
—  The Recognition service to track non-code Project Awareness
contributions was launched[13]. I’ve recorded a video about the service for
you[14]

That’s what we as a community did in 2021. Impressive, isn’t it?

Now, I’ll list 2021’s 10 most active non-code contributors, all of whom
contributed to spreading the word about Ignite:

Val Kulichenko
Denis Magda
Alexander Kozhenkov
Stephen Darlington
Pavel Tupitsyn
Anton Vinogradov
Courtney Robinson
Maxim Muzafarov
Nikolay Izhikov
Semyon Danilov

We are all proud of you! You did an outstanding job. My team and I want
others to recognize your contributions! So, we created badges[15] that you
can add to your LinkedIn profile (or to any other profile) to emphasize
your role! Please check your emails.

Have a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and stay awesome!
Next year, we will rock again together!

Cheers,
Kseniya
Apache Ignite PMC,
Director of Community Relations at GridGain

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_Card_Industry_Data_Security_Standard
[2]https://github.com/apache/ignite-3/
[3]Ignite 3.0 Alpha 3 Community Gathering recording
https://youtu.be/XanOleiBLlU
[4]Ignite Core & Docs top-contributors 2021
https://github.com/apache/ignite/graphs/contributors?from=2021-01-03&to=2021-12-22&type=c
[5]Ignite Extensions top-contributors 2021
https://github.com/apache/ignite-extensions/graphs/contributors?from=2021-01-01&to=2021-12-22&type=c
[6]Ignite website top-contributors 2021
https://github.com/apache/ignite-website/graphs/contributors?from=2021-01-01&to=2021-12-22&type=c
[7] https://www.apache.org/foundation/docs/FY2021AnnualReport.pdf
[8]
https://blogs.apache.org/ignite/entry/apache-ignite-momentum-highlights-from
[9] https://db-engines.com/en/ranking
[10] https://ignite.apache.org/
[11] https://ignite.apache.org/events.html#meetups
[12] https://ignite-summit.org/
[13] https://recognition.gridgain.com/main?date=this-year
[14] https://youtu.be/AmO4dNdZHb8
[15]
https://www.credly.com/org/gridgain/badge/ignite-project-awareness-top-contributor-2021

Re: [COMMUNITY] Apache Ignite Community Recap and Celebration of Project Evangelists

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Excellent 2021 recap! Thanks Kseniya for sharing, driving and helping with
so many activities. Can't wait to see the non-code contributions service to
track responses on the user lists and other forums.

--
Denis

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.