Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at> on 2012/02/10 17:43:20 UTC

[RT] Documentation (split from: Awesome User Experience)

Hello Francis

I think you are talking more about developer experience than end-user
experience.

The wiki seems a good start for documentation to me but I agree that it
has some serious drawbacks.
For example: we can not easily include swf's and AS3 code formatting is
sub-par. But i think if those requests are
raised to the infrastructure team then they will be dealt with. This
would result in following documentation locations:

*) Wiki: edited documentation, documentation about concepts with example
section
*) Blog: Time-related documentation: Changes/News
*) API-Docs: Generated API documentation

It would be not so hard to provide something like the PHP Ninja manual
[1] that sets up on the online data.

The only problem I see with the wiki solution is the translation. I
personally think "just english" is enough. However: For some reason
japanese developers (as a example) seem to be really trying to translate
everything and I am not yet sure how this could be done with the wiki.

However: this raises another question:

@Adobe: I assume that the Flash Player AS3 documentation will stay at
the Adobe site:
Do you plan to submit the Flex documentation (not just api docs) to apache?
Might that include Tour De Flex?
What system/format does it use?
Can the community help with that?

yours
Martin.

[1]
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/clbhjjdhmgeibgdccjfoliooccomjcab

Re: [RT] Documentation (split from: Awesome User Experience)

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
On 11/02/2012 07:00, Ariel Jakobovits wrote:
> Regarding asdocs, will we be able to reliably point users to the Flash Player AS3 documentation from our imported Flex doc site?
Of course not. The Flash Player as well as the AS3 Language are not
planned to be submitted to Apache.

However: I, personally, see the possibility that Adobe might change its
mind if we really "hit it off" as they say.

yours
Martin.

Re: [RT] Documentation (split from: Awesome User Experience)

Posted by Ariel Jakobovits <ar...@yahoo.com>.
Regarding asdocs, will we be able to reliably point users to the Flash Player AS3 documentation from our imported Flex doc site?

Ariel Jakobovits
Email: arieljake@yahoo.com
Phone: 650-690-2213
Fax: 650-641-0031
Cell: 650-823-8699

________________________________

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@googlemail.com>.
@Martin
Unfortunately the code of that application wont help much i think.
Simply because the application was not written in AS3/MXML but in Java
using GWT.
I was talking more about the structure of the app which was inspired from
the Ext-GWT explorer.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.
>>I'm curious how Open-Source projects handle the localization of documentation.

Before Adobe started the process of donating Flex to Apache, Spoon was working with them to open the localization of the framework and eventually docs to the community. We can see if Adobe is willing to donate any of the work done so far.

Mike

Notice: This transmission is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this transmission by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone and delete the original transmission. Thank you.

Re: [RT] Documentation (split from: Awesome User Experience)

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
On 11/02/2012 02:56, David Francis Buhler wrote:
> I'm curious how Open-Source projects handle the localization of documentation.

- Every system does it differently, this can be handled in a lot of ways.
I structure it for me like that:

- If documentation is deployed with the release of a project then every
"localization team" has time
to the release to add documentation and either they deploy with
untranslated parts or deploy
the translated parts once each translation is done.

- If the documentation is on a global service (homepage) then usually
the english page is first there
and the translators translate as they pass by. (See php documentation).

- Projects that do not change over a long time due to their simplicity
(small JavaScript projects) usually
can have one documentation and the documentation gets a version related
to but not similar to the
project.

API-doc translation is something that is missing in the FLEX SDK for
years now - I had particular difficult discussions about that in the
Java Community.
I have two concepts for that lying around somewhere.

If we have wiki it would work like:

> ...ng Tour de Flex, I'm not sure how effective it is.
I am not saying that we should continue it, I have certainly not used it ...

> If people have found the application to be helpful, I'd be interested in hearing more.
Me too.

yours
Martin.

Re: [RT] Documentation (split from: Awesome User Experience)

Posted by David Francis Buhler <da...@gmail.com>.
Martin,

My apologies for thread-hijacking.

I'm curious how Open-Source projects handle the localization of documentation.

My understanding is that Adobe intends to donate the Tour de Flex
application, per another thread. With all due-respect to the efforts
of those involved with developing Tour de Flex, I'm not sure how
effective it is. If people have found the application to be helpful,
I'd be interested in hearing more.

@Alain,
Your explorer is excellent for providing examples. The hierarchy, I
think if effective.

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Alain Ekambi <ja...@googlemail.com>.