Posted to user@struts.apache.org by mi...@honeywell.com on 2003/06/30 18:50:01 UTC

Authentication question and user accounts.

I am using container managed security in Tomcat 4.1.24 with a database
realm.  All this is working fine.  However, I'd like to give the user the
possibility of creating a user acount when the login.jsp is displayed.  When
the user creates the account, I would like to do the login with the supplied
credentials and redirect to the originally requested page.  I'm not sure if
Tomcat's realm classes have a way to do the login in this way and I will
check that out.  The question I'm wondering about is if anyone knows a good
solution for redirecting to the originally requested page (aside from
keeping this information in a session bean).  Even if I return back to the
login.jsp, Tomcat won't know what to do when I hit the "Submit" button.  I'm
sorry if this is OT for Struts, but this is a Struts app and you never know
if Struts has a way to help deal with this.

Thanks for any help,

Mike Witt

Re: Authentication question and user accounts.

Posted by Dan Allen <da...@mojavelinux.com>.
Adam Hardy (ahardy.struts@cyberspaceroad.com) wrote:

> Well it is slightly off-topic because it's more a tomcat issue, but in
> short I don't think you can achieve what you want to achieve using a
> standard realm and container-managed security. You could easily put a
> link to create a new account in your error pagge or have FORM-based CMS
> with a link in the login form to create a new account. There is nothing
> in struts though that will address this issue directly.
>
> HTH
> Adam
>
> mike.witt@honeywell.com wrote:
> >I am using container managed security in Tomcat 4.1.24 with a database
> >realm.  All this is working fine.  However, I'd like to give the user the
> >possibility of creating a user acount when the login.jsp is displayed.
> >When
> >the user creates the account, I would like to do the login with the
> >supplied
> >credentials and redirect to the originally requested page.  I'm not sure if
> >Tomcat's realm classes have a way to do the login in this way and I will
> >check that out.  The question I'm wondering about is if anyone knows a good
> >solution for redirecting to the originally requested page (aside from
> >keeping this information in a session bean).  Even if I return back to the
> >login.jsp, Tomcat won't know what to do when I hit the "Submit" button.
> >I'm
> >sorry if this is OT for Struts, but this is a Struts app and you never know
> >if Struts has a way to help deal with this.
> >
> >Thanks for any help,
> >
> >Mike Witt

Check the appfuse application.  Matt pretty much does everything
that is possible when using container managed security and struts.
By that I mean, if he doesn't do it in appfuse it is darn near
impossible, so definitely check it out.

Dan

Daniel Allen, <da...@mojavelinux.com>
http://www.mojavelinux.com/

Re: Authentication question and user accounts.

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.