Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Marge Schlitt <ma...@mindspring.com> on 2012/06/13 10:48:59 UTC

Can you help me?

I'm new to Open Office, and there are a couple of hurdles I can't overcome:

1.  How do I change the default font to Helvetica? I know how to
change it every time I start a new file, but I want to have Helvetica
every time automatically.

2. How do I stop it from insisting that every time I enter a set of
numbered paragraphs that they be indented instead of left flush?  I
want to number things and place them where I want them, not where
someone else thinks they should go.

3. Sometimes I have put some text into columns and then I want to
change my mind. How do I undo the columns?

4. How can I get it to lay out landscape instead of vertical? When I
go to Format -> Flip,  the Flip message for vertical or landscape is
grey instead of black.

Many thanks!

Marge

Re: Can you help me?

Posted by Joost Andrae <Jo...@gmx.de>.
Am 13.06.2012 10:48, schrieb Marge Schlitt:
> I'm new to Open Office, and there are a couple of hurdles I can't overcome:
>
> 1.  How do I change the default font to Helvetica? I know how to change
> it every time I start a new file, but I want to have Helvetica every
> time automatically.

You don't necessarily need to define a document template for this but at
menu item /Tools/Options/OpenOffice.org Writer/
there's a sub menu where you can set base font settings for text documents.

Kind regards, Joost

Re: Can you help me?

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 03:48:59 -0500
Marge Schlitt <ma...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> I'm new to Open Office, and there are a couple of hurdles I can't overcome:
>
> 1.  How do I change the default font to Helvetica? I know how to
> change it every time I start a new file, but I want to have Helvetica
> every time automatically.

In the Help file: search for "Default Template"
and read entry "Changing the Default Template"

> 2. How do I stop it from insisting that every time I enter a set of
> numbered paragraphs that they be indented instead of left flush?  I
> want to number things and place them where I want them, not where
> someone else thinks they should go.

In the Help file: search for "Paragraph styles"
and read entry "Indenting Paragraphs"

> 3. Sometimes I have put some text into columns and then I want to
> change my mind. How do I undo the columns?

Select the columnar text and /Format /Columns, reset the column count to 1

> 4. How can I get it to lay out landscape instead of vertical? When I
> go to Format -> Flip,  the Flip message for vertical or landscape is
> grey instead of black.

/Format /Page : Page Tab, choose Landscape.

You should examine the various tutorials at
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewforum.php?f=71
and at
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewforum.php?f=74
for much useful information.

OpenOffice is Style oriented; you need to consider your use of formatting, encapsulate it into a predefined Style and suddenly you will start to live in Formatting Heaven!  This won't happen overnight and it may be a struggle to break free from habits acquired using other word processors.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Can you help me?

Posted by Dan <el...@gmail.com>.
Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi Marge,
>
> Yes, we can help you.
>
> But please make it easier for us and more useful for the archive by
> writing for each topic a separate mail and put the topic into the
> subject line.
>
> Marge Schlitt schrieb:
>> I'm new to Open Office, and there are a couple of hurdles I can't
>> overcome:
>>
>> 1.  How do I change the default font to Helvetica? I know how to change
>> it every time I start a new file, but I want to have Helvetica every
>> time automatically.
>
> When a Textdocument is opened goto menu Tools > Options. There to
> 'OpenOffice.org Writer' > Basic Fonts. This personal settings are used
> for the default document template.
>

>> 2. How do I stop it from insisting that every time I enter a set of
>> numbered paragraphs that they be indented instead of left flush?  I want
>> to number things and place them where I want them, not where someone
>> else thinks they should go.
>
> Here two things come together. There is an automatism that changes
> consecutive numbered lines to true lists. This resulting list has an
> indent as default setting.
>
> Ways out:
> 1. Disable the automatism: Menu Tools > AutoCorrect Options > Dialog
> page "Options". Deactivate the option "Apply numbering".
> 2. Do not type the numbering yourself but use a numbering style. Type
> your first item without a number, open "Style and formatting" window
> (e.g. via key F11), click on button "List styles", double click on one
> of the predefined numbering styles. Right click on the style, click
> 'Modify' and change the settings to your preferred style.
>
> If you will keep the automatically made list and only want to alter
> its appearance, then right click a list item and choose
> "Numbering/Bullets" from that context menu. In the dialog itself goto
> tab 'Position' and set the indent as you want.
>

>> 3. Sometimes I have put some text into columns and then I want to change
>> my mind. How do I undo the columns?
>
> While cursor is inside such column goto menu Format > Sections. Click
> on 'Remove' and OK.
>

>> 4. How can I get it to lay out landscape instead of vertical? When I go
>> to Format -> Flip,  the Flip message for vertical or landscape is grey
>> instead of black.
>
> Look into the status bar. Right click the second field from left,
> likely 'Default'. Choose 'Landscape' from there. Tip: When you double
> click that field, you can alter settings like margins, header and
> footer area.
>
> There are a lot of information out there in the Web, which you will
> find by a search engine. That gives you a quick access to the
> information in the Wiki and the forum archive too.
>
> If you like a systematical way more, have a look at the "Getting
> started" guides. For the very beginning it does not matter whether the
> tutorials are for OpenOffice.org, Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

> [...]
      The Getting Started with Writer and the Writer Guide are available at:
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/
       The basics for both Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice are the
same as mentioned above. I suggest downloading Getting Started with
Writer to start with. It will guide you in learning how to use Writer.

--Dan

Re: Can you help me?

Posted by David B Teague sr <da...@comporium.net>.
MS office is stable YES.

OO.o are quite stable and useful.  I have not had stability problems
with ANY recent version of OpenOffice.org.

I have found very little that I cannot do with OO.o that I can do with
MS Office. And I the incredible price of OO.o is exactly right" $0.00,
less than the $200, to $500 cost of MS Office (depending on the version
and feature set.)

I was a user of of Star Office, and I have used OpenOffice.o,
LibreOffice, AND Microsoft Office since SO 1.0 and since  MS Word 6 for
Windows 3.1.

Do your pocket book a favor and avoid Larry's advice here, UNLESS you
are being required by an employer as I was when I wrote for Addison
Wesley, to use MS Word.

With Warmest Regards
David Teague
Emeritus Professor of Mathematics and Computer Sciences from Western
Carolina University,
I  speak only for myself.

On 6/13/2012 6:39 AM, Larry Moore wrote:
> [...]
>> 'Remove' and OK.
>>
>>> 4. How can I get it to lay out landscape instead of vertical? When I go
>>> to Format ->  Flip,  the Flip message for vertical or landscape is grey
>>> instead of black.
>> Look into the status bar. Right click the second field from left, likely
>> 'Default'. Choose 'Landscape' from there. Tip: When you double click
>> that field, you can alter settings like margins, header and footer area.
>>
>> There are a lot of information out there in the Web, which you will find
>> by a search engine. That gives you a quick access to the information in
>> the Wiki and the forum archive too.
>>
>> If you like a systematical way more, have a look at the "Getting
>> started" guides. For the very beginning it does not matter whether the
>> tutorials are for OpenOffice.org, Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

nil significat nisi oscillat
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

RE: Can you help me?

Posted by Larry Moore <el...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Can you help me?

Posted by upscope <up...@nwi.net>.
On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 06:35:22 PM Marge Schlitt wrote:
> [...]
> >Click on 'Remove' and OK.
> >
> >>4. How can I get it to lay out landscape instead of vertical? When I
> >>go to Format -> Flip,  the Flip message for vertical or landscape
> >>is grey instead of black.
> >
> >Look into the status bar. Right click the second field from left,
> >likely 'Default'. Choose 'Landscape' from there. Tip: When you
> >double click that field, you can alter settings like margins, header
> >and footer area.
> >
> >There are a lot of information out there in the Web, which you will
> >find by a search engine. That gives you a quick access to the
> >information in the Wiki and the forum archive too.
> >
> >If you like a systematical way more, have a look at the "Getting
> >started" guides. For the very beginning it does not matter whether
> >the tutorials are for OpenOffice.org, Apache OpenOffice or

I use LibreOffice but this should be the same in AOO. If your trying to
set a landscape page go to Format --> Page --> Page and half way down
you should see Orientation. Select Portrait or Landscape. I am assuming
Apache has not changed that.

Hope that helps.

------
Russ
openSUSE 12.1(3.1.10-1.9-desktop x86_64)|KDE Platform Version
4.8.3 (4.8.3) "release 504"|Intel core2duo 2.5 MHZ,|8GB
DDR3|GeForce 8400GS(NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.53)

Re: Can you help me?

Posted by Marge Schlitt <ma...@mindspring.com>.

Re: Can you help me?

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.