Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org> on 2003/02/22 04:33:13 UTC

Jira for Phoenix

Hi,

I want to get to some of the stuff I was doing on phoenix - a lot of which
requires better task tracking software. However Bugzilla sucks and crashes my
browser :(

I would like to use Jira (http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/default.jsp).
It is the nicest piece of issue tracking software that I have ever used. Go
have a look at website and demo and I think you will find it is incredibly
user friendly and easy to use as well as producing nice reports. I have
introduced it into quite a few companies and once they started using it none
of them ever looked back.

The one downside is that it is not opensource but we do get a free license.
IIRC we also get to see the source if we want and 90% of its foundation is
opensource (from opensymphony project).

The negatives? First we would have to export from bugzilla and import into
jira which could be a bit of a problem. We will also have to find a host for
it (any volunteers?). I can provide a host but it will take 2-3 weeks before
I have time to set it up properly.

Thoughts?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"All my life I wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more
specific."
-- Jane Wagner

Re: Jira for Phoenix

Posted by Mauro Talevi <ma...@aquilonia.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to get to some of the stuff I was doing on phoenix - a lot of which
> requires better task tracking software. However Bugzilla sucks and crashes my
> browser :(

that's odd!  what browser is that?

> I would like to use Jira (http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/default.jsp).
> It is the nicest piece of issue tracking software that I have ever used. Go
> have a look at website and demo and I think you will find it is incredibly
> user friendly and easy to use as well as producing nice reports. I have
> introduced it into quite a few companies and once they started using it none
> of them ever looked back.

Jira is certainly a more evolved and modern issue tracking tool -
bugzilla is good for what is was designed to do: no-frills bug tracking.

> The one downside is that it is not opensource but we do get a free license.
> IIRC we also get to see the source if we want and 90% of its foundation is
> opensource (from opensymphony project).

It's the same with Sun java code, you can see the source but cannot changed.

> The negatives? First we would have to export from bugzilla and import into
> jira which could be a bit of a problem. We will also have to find a host for
> it (any volunteers?). I can provide a host but it will take 2-3 weeks before
> I have time to set it up properly.

maven and other apache projects are hosted on http://jira.werken.com/
could use that?

> Thoughts?

A v. good idea!

Cheers, Mauro

Re: Jira for Phoenix

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 05:00, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> > Jira is cool. We use it in work.
>
> You're welcome to use the installation set up on the Rackspace box Bob
> and I have setup.

That would be great! So what do I need to do to get that started?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Jira for Phoenix

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 07:29, Paul Hammant wrote:

> > > [would like to get jira for avalon-phoenix development as
> > > bugzilla is a pain-in-the-thing]
> > >

> >> Thoughts?
> >

> Jira is cool. We use it in work.

You're welcome to use the installation set up on the Rackspace box Bob
and I have setup.

> +1
>
> - Paul

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Jira for Phoenix

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.

> > [would like to get jira for avalon-phoenix development as
> > bugzilla is a pain-in-the-thing]
> >

>> Thoughts?

Jira is cool. We use it in work.

+1

- Paul

Re: Jira for Phoenix

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
 > [would like to get jira for avalon-phoenix development as
 > bugzilla is a pain-in-the-thing]
 >
> Thoughts?

the infrastructure people and the board would like to keep all ASF
development on ASF machines. From what I gather Jason & Bob are looking
at getting their rackspace box (running jira.werken.com) hosted as
{blah}.apache.org (see: infrastructure list) so it falls under the
definition of "ASF machine".

Makes sense to use that jira install as some asf projects are already
using it. I'd actually like to have all of avalon setup over there and
totally get rid of bugzilla. My plan was to wait and see what happens
with the plans for this box and propose to use it when wrinkles smooth out.

I'm ccing infrastructure so they know we'd like to use Jira :D

cheers,

- Leo