Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Suresh Marru <sm...@iu.edu> on 2013/04/21 19:34:10 UTC

Anthropology GIS Project

Hi Denné,

I greatly enjoyed to learn about your anthropology research and more about the archeology scavenging hunts, may be I can join in some day :).

As we discussed about the open source GIS and data analysis projects, let me introduce you to the Apache SIS [1] and Airavata [2] developers.

Chris, Martin, Jun et al,

Prof. Denné Reed from University of Texas [3] is currently using ArcGIS based tools and his group is eager to explore open source alternatives. So please take it from here.

Amila (Ranatunga), Sameera, Harsha, Nipuni,

This might be a good use case for your project. This should help you put airavata and sis into a real-world perspective.

Note: Denné is not subscribed to the list, so please cc him explicitly. I have bcc'ed Airavata developers, if the students on the list are interested, please join in sis dev list and follow up.

Cheers,
Suresh

[1] - http://sis.apache.org/sis/
[2] - http://airavata.apache.org/
[3] - https://webspace.utexas.edu/dnr266/www/index.html

Re: Anthropology GIS Project

Posted by "Reed, Denne N" <re...@austin.utexas.edu>.
Dear Suresh,
It was very nice meeting you in Boston. In addition to the excitement of being embroiled in a manhunt, I really enjoyed the focus group and I thank you for putting us all in touch with one another. I'm eager to learn more about open GIS, SIS and airavata. These sound like very exciting projects. The project we're working on is called PaleoCore and there is a preliminary website up at PaleoCore.org<http://PaleoCore.org>. PaleoCore is about developing data standards, tools and data gateways for paleoanthropological data. It is associated with a related suite of eAnthro websites such as eFossils.org<http://eFossils.org>, eLucy.org<http://eLucy.org>, and eSkeletons.org<http://eSkeletons.org>. Particularly we are looking to expand and improve the time-space visualization of fossils that is demonstrated on the eFossils site at http://efossils.org/page/catalog.  This particular implementation is a mash up of Simile and Google Maps with data provided by an ArcGIS geodatabase backend running on PostgeSQL/Redhat.

Thanks again for putting us all in touch.

Best,
Denné

Associate Professor
University of Texas at Austin
Dept. of Anthropology
2201 Speedway, Stop C3200
Austin, TX 78712-1723

Office: SAC 5.146
Lab: SAC 5.188

Phone: 512.471.7529
Fax: 512.471.6535

reedd(at)austin.utexas.edu<http://austin.utexas.edu>
https://webspace.utexas.edu/dnr266/www/

On Apr 21, 2013, at 11:58 PM, Sameera Jayaratna wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for pointing out the project for us. It seems interesting and we will definitely look into the project. We would like to know more about it.

Thank you,
Sameera.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 3:27 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (398J) <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>> wrote:
Thank you for the connection Suresh and nice to meet you
Denne!

We'd be happy to discuss Apache SIS and to provide any
information you desire.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris

--
Sameera Jayaratna
Undergraduate

Re: Anthropology GIS Project

Posted by Sameera Jayaratna <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> Thank you for the connection Suresh and nice to meet you
> Denne!
>
> We'd be happy to discuss Apache SIS and to provide any
> information you desire.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

*Department of Computer Science And Engineering*
*University of Moratuwa*
*Sri Lanka*

Re: Anthropology GIS Project

Posted by Sameera Jayaratna <sa...@gmail.com>.