Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Michael Eager <ea...@eagercon.com> on 2006/05/19 17:20:36 UTC

Ignoring deleted files in working directory

I've just installed Subversion and I'm new using it.
I want to use Subversion a little bit differently from
the usual source code management application and I'd
like a little advice.

I want to create a document archive in Subversion.
The archive will contain both current and historical
documents.  I want the working directory to contain
only a subset of the files in the archive.  I don't
want Subversion to complain about the files which are
missing from the working directory.

Subversion (as far as I can tell) only allows me to
checkout a full directory.  Is there any way to check
out specific files from an archive?

Another alternative is to check out an entire directory
and then delete the unwanted files from the working
directory.  Is there any way to tell Subversion to not
complain about missing files, for example, in a "svn
status" command?  (I've thought about adding a command
line option to do just this.)

I've also thought about tagging old files with a
property like "svn:archive".  Is there any way to
have Subversion only checkout certain files, such as
ones which do not have this property.

One idea which I considered and which does not work
is to import the historical documents into the archive
and then delete them.  They are in the archive and
can be recovered, but this makes them invisible when
looking at the head of the revision tree, for example,
when using ViewVC.

Any ideas or suggestions?

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077

Re: Ignoring deleted files in working directory

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 5/19/2006 1:39 PM, Michael Eager wrote:
> Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> On 5/19/2006 1:20 PM, Michael Eager wrote:
>>
>>> I've just installed Subversion and I'm new using it.
>>> I want to use Subversion a little bit differently from
>>> the usual source code management application and I'd
>>> like a little advice.
>>>
>>> I want to create a document archive in Subversion.
>>> The archive will contain both current and historical
>>> documents.  I want the working directory to contain
>>> only a subset of the files in the archive.  I don't
>>> want Subversion to complain about the files which are
>>> missing from the working directory.
>>>
>>> Subversion (as far as I can tell) only allows me to
>>> checkout a full directory.  Is there any way to check
>>> out specific files from an archive?
>>>
>>> Another alternative is to check out an entire directory
>>> and then delete the unwanted files from the working
>>> directory.  Is there any way to tell Subversion to not
>>> complain about missing files, for example, in a "svn
>>> status" command?  (I've thought about adding a command
>>> line option to do just this.)
>>>
>>> I've also thought about tagging old files with a
>>> property like "svn:archive".  Is there any way to
>>> have Subversion only checkout certain files, such as
>>> ones which do not have this property.
>>>
>>> One idea which I considered and which does not work
>>> is to import the historical documents into the archive
>>> and then delete them.  They are in the archive and
>>> can be recovered, but this makes them invisible when
>>> looking at the head of the revision tree, for example,
>>> when using ViewVC.
>>>
>>> Any ideas or suggestions?
>>

>> I'd create two directories, "current" and "deleted".  Check out current,
>> and when you don't want a document there any more, mv it to deleted.
>>
>> You may want multiple subdirectories in deleted, if you want to re-use
>> the same names for unrelated files, e.g. deleted/2005, deleted/2006, etc.
>
> Yes, I thought about this, but it really doesn't address the problem.
>
> The historical documents are not "deleted", they are just inactive.
> When I need to update one of the historical documents, I want to be able
> to check it out of the archive and work on it in the correct place
> in the document tree.  I don't want to have to check it out of a
> separate directory tree and move it to the real directory location.

Don't do that.  Move it within the repository.

Use the names "active" and "inactive" instead of "current" and "deleted"
if you like.  Think of a file being in "active" or "inactive" as a
single bit flag indicating the status.  When you want to change the
status of a file from active to inactive, you mv it to "inactive".  When
you want to change it back, you mv it to "active".

> I want a single archive, not two.

It's just one archive, but the files are labeled.

Duncan Murdoch

Posted by Michael Eager <ea...@eagercon.com>.

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.