Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by BoonThai Hoh <hb...@swiftinnovation.com> on 2003/05/26 03:21:35 UTC

Taking Turbine one step further

Hi all,
I have been using Turbine/Torque for all our clients the past year or so
and I really like to let all the contributing developers know how much I
appreciate the hard work. The thing I like about the Turbine is that it
allows me to get a basic webapp up and running in no time. But once that is
done, I find myself going through a very repetitive routine.  Most of what
I do for every new client is
1) add tables to the XML schema file
2) create a secured screen class and associated .vm file to display a list
of the new table's content for authorized users
3) create a secured action class add/edit/delete data in the new table for
authorized users
4) create a non-secured screen and associated .vm to display content of the
new table for anonymous users

Torque is intelligent enough to generate the om classes to access the
table, so I just thought it will be great if there is a similar ant task
(akin to how Torque generate the om classes) that will generate everything
in step 2) to 4) and maybe even a basic table of content(site map) screen
to access these functionalities.  This new ant task can read in a config
XML file that tells it what table to generate the functionalities
for.  With a task like this, someone with very little java skill can even
create a webapp that comes complete with all the advantages of Turbine
(security, caching, MVC etc...).

Is there already something that does what I am looking for? If not, then is
anyone interested in a new task like this? I am more than happy to help out
if there is interest in this.

BoonThai