Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be> on 2006/09/12 08:40:33 UTC

A few suggestions for the Geronimo Eclipse plug-in

L.S.,

Just a few suggestions after working with the Geronimo plug-in for
Eclipse for a few days...

Wouldn't it be possible to use the Eclipse XML editor on the source tab
pane of the Geronimo deployment Plan Editor, preferably with the
Geronimo schema definitions already loaded, so you can have full code
assist functionality in the source pane?

It would also be nice if there was an option to use the administrator id
and password (specified when creating the server definition) to avoid
the login screen when opening the Geronimo Console from within Eclipse.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
gert@anova.be

Re: A few suggestions for the Geronimo Eclipse plug-in

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 12, 2006, at 8:29 AM, Sachin Patel wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2006, at 2:40 AM, Gert Vanthienen wrote:
>
>> L.S.,
>>
>> Just a few suggestions after working with the Geronimo plug-in for
>> Eclipse for a few days...
>>
>> Wouldn't it be possible to use the Eclipse XML editor on the
>> source tab pane of the Geronimo deployment Plan Editor, preferably
>> with the Geronimo schema definitions already loaded, so you can
>> have full code assist functionality in the source pane?
>
> Yes the current source editor is a pure hack, and it needs to be
> replaced with something more robust.  The plans are based off of
> EMF models and we need a source editor that is live (not just
> showing the serialized version of the model) but always in sync.  I
> think this can be done by somehow by extending eclipse's structured
> source editor to provide a EMF to XML adapter.

Also would you be able to help work on this? :)

>> It would also be nice if there was an option to use the
>> administrator id and password (specified when creating the server
>> definition) to avoid the login screen when opening the Geronimo
>> Console from within Eclipse.
>
> Yes, if the console allows the uid/pw to be passed in directly in
> the url, then yes certainly.
>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Gert Vanthienen
>> gert@anova.be
>

> -sachin

-sachin

Re: A few suggestions for the Geronimo Eclipse plug-in

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 9/12/06, Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, if the console allows the uid/pw to be passed in directly in the url,
> then yes certainly.

The console uses j_security_check to handle authentication.  Using
that technique requires the username and password to be submitted
separately from the original request.  I don't think there's any way
to encode the username and password into the original request url.
The only way I can think of to achieve the desired behavior in eclipse
would be to disable the console's security in its web.xml.  But that's
not recommended.

Best wishes,
Paul

Re: A few suggestions for the Geronimo Eclipse plug-in

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 12, 2006, at 2:40 AM, Gert Vanthienen wrote:

> L.S.,
>
> Just a few suggestions after working with the Geronimo plug-in for
> Eclipse for a few days...
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to use the Eclipse XML editor on the source
> tab pane of the Geronimo deployment Plan Editor, preferably with
> the Geronimo schema definitions already loaded, so you can have
> full code assist functionality in the source pane?

Yes the current source editor is a pure hack, and it needs to be
replaced with something more robust.  The plans are based off of EMF
models and we need a source editor that is live (not just showing the
serialized version of the model) but always in sync.  I think this
can be done by somehow by extending eclipse's structured source
editor to provide a EMF to XML adapter.

> It would also be nice if there was an option to use the
> administrator id and password (specified when creating the server
> definition) to avoid the login screen when opening the Geronimo
> Console from within Eclipse.

Yes, if the console allows the uid/pw to be passed in directly in the
url, then yes certainly.

> Regards,
>
> Gert Vanthienen
> gert@anova.be