Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org> on 2003/02/12 12:42:07 UTC

recommended way for building EAR/WAR project?

Consider a project that builds the following *AR files:
objectmodel.jar - contains the objectmodel
clientAPI.jar - contains the client interfaces for EJB app clients
web-admin-classes.jar - contains classes for web-based admin
web-admin-templates.jar - contains the templates for web-based admin
ejb-app.jar - contains implementation classes for EJB application
project-admin.war - web archive for web-based admin
project.ear - EAR file for deploying the application

What would be the recommended way for structuring this kind of build
process? (I understand that there are VERY MANY ways how it is POSSIBLE
to build this, but I'm interested in RECOMMENDED way)

I was thinking about splitting the whole project into one
"mother-project" and several child-projects:
* objectmodel project
     depends on:
         * persistence framework (torque, ojb, etc)
     generates:
         * om.jar
* application project
     depends on:
         * objectmodel (om.jar)
     generates:
         * clientAPI.jar
         * ejb-app.jar
   (question: should the client API and ejb-app also be in separate
              projects?)
* web-admin project
     depends on:
         * objectmodel (om.jar)
         * application (clientAPI.jar)
     generates:
         * web-admin-classes.jar
         * web-admin-templates.jar
         * project-admin.war
   (question: should the web-admin-classes and web-admin-templates also
              be in separate projects?)
* main project:
     depends on:
         * objectmodel (om.jar)
         * application (ejb-app.jar)
     generates:
         * project.ear

Sounds good? Should split even further? Shouldn't split that much?

Rgds,
Neeme