Posted to dev@streampipes.apache.org by Patrick Wiener <wi...@apache.org> on 2020/02/24 17:37:32 UTC

Multi-arch docker images for StreamPipes

Hi,

as a result of a PoC described in a blog post (https://streampipes.apache.org/docs/blog/2020/01/23/streampipes_on_rpi/ <https://streampipes.apache.org/docs/blog/2020/01/23/streampipes_on_rpi/>) I was working on bringing this multi-arch feature officially
into the StreamPipes community (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STREAMPIPES-66 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STREAMPIPES-66>). I finished the extension of StreamPipes related Docker images to support ARM-based CPU
architectures - currently arm32v7 (e.g. Raspberry Pi) as well as arm64v8 (e.g. Jetson Nano).

As of now, this includes all core StreamPipes services + mandatory external services for running StreamPipes lite:

ui
backend
connect (master + worker)
all pipeline elements
activemq
consul
couchdb
kafka
zookeeper
influxdb

We currently still rely on an external kafka-rest service for live preview of data source in the pipeline editor. This external component is not provided as an multi-arch image since
we plan to implement this feature by ourselves to minimize dependencies. So live preview is currently not supported in ARM-based setup.

I updated the cli, installer and helm deployment within https://github.com/apache/incubator-streampipes-installer/tree/dev <https://github.com/apache/incubator-streampipes-installer/tree/dev> accordingly and tested the different alternatives.

amd64/x86: tested on server and local Macbook Pro
arm32v7: tested on Raspberry Pi Model 4, 4Gb RAM
arm64v8: tested on Jetson Nano, 4Gb RAM

Cheers,
Patrick

Re: Multi-arch docker images for StreamPipes

Posted by Patrick Wiener <wi...@apache.org>.
Good point. Definitely worth noting in the docs. In addition, I plan to do another blog post
as an extension to running StreamPipes on Raspberry Pi, where I explain how to use our helm
chart in order to deploy SP over a set of heterogeneous (edge) nodes :P

Patrick