Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Vernon Smith <vw...@lycos.com> on 2003/11/23 07:23:01 UTC

How to work with a custom and a JSTL

Hi,

I have a custom tag which takes a output of a JSTL, or another custom tag as an attribute. This tag has one required and two non-required attributes. The following version doesn't work.

<mm:imagesizer src='<c:out value="${photopath}" />' alt="Photo" />

How to make it works? Is a nested tag a solution?

Thanks.

Re: How to work with a custom and a JSTL

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Martin Cooper wrote:
> 2) EL-enable the <mm:imagesizer> tag, so that you can specify the
> expression directly, like this:
>
>   <mm:imagesizer src="${photopath}" alt="Photo" />

In JSP 2.0, you won't have to do anything special for this to work.. you
just need to have your custom tag handle runtime values.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

Re: How to work with a custom and a JSTL

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Vernon Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a custom tag which takes a output of a JSTL, or another custom tag as an attribute. This tag has one required and two non-required attributes. The following version doesn't work.
>
> <mm:imagesizer src='<c:out value="${photopath}" />' alt="Photo" />
>
> How to make it works? Is a nested tag a solution?

It is not legal in JSP (or in XML, for that matter) to use a tag in the
value of an attribute. There are a couple of things you could do.

1) Specify the value for 'src' as the body of the <mm:imagesizer> tag,
instead of as an attribute value, like this:

  <mm:imagesizer alt="Photo">
    <c:out value="${photopath}" />
  </mm:imagesizer>