Posted to dev@falcon.apache.org by Balu Vellanki <bv...@hortonworks.com> on 2015/09/14 23:42:38 UTC

[Discuss] : Should a non-superuser be allowed to update ACL of feed or process entity

Hi Team,

Today, Feed/Process entities have ACL with owner and group. Support for permissions is not implemented yet. Any user who is the owner OR who belongs to the group can update/delete/suspend the entity.

If two users "user1" and "user2" belong to same group "users" and the falcon entity ACL is <ACL owner="user1" group="users" permission="*"/>, then user2 can update the falcon entity and claim ownership of this entity. I believe that user2 should not be allowed to do so unless it is superuser.  Similar behavior is not allowed in HDFS.  Please comment if you disagree.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FALCON-1340

Thanks
Balu Velalnki

Re: [Discuss] : Should a non-superuser be allowed to update ACL of feed or process entity

Posted by Venkat Ranganathan <vr...@hortonworks.com>.
We discussed this earlier as part of one of our regression QE issues failing when we were doing the proxy user.   Yes, agreed that we need this to be fixed by fixing ACL handling in general.   I would like to target it for post 0.8, given that we have a flurry of features for 0.8

Thanks

Venkat

Posted by Srikanth Sundarrajan <sr...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Balu Vellanki <bv...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Peeyush Bishnoi <bp...@yahoo.co.in>.
Balu,

Posted by Sandeep Samudrala <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by pavan kumar Kolamuri <pa...@gmail.com>.

--
Regards
Pavan Kumar Kolamuri

Re: [Discuss] : Should a non-superuser be allowed to update ACL of feed or process entity

Posted by Pallavi Rao <pa...@inmobi.com>.

wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> Today, Feed/Process entities have ACL with owner and group. Support for
> permissions is not implemented yet. Any user who is the owner OR who
> belongs to the group can update/delete/suspend the entity.
>
> If two users "user1" and "user2" belong to same group "users" and the
> falcon entity ACL is <ACL owner="user1" group="users" permission="*"/>,
> then user2 can update the falcon entity and claim ownership of this entity.
> I believe that user2 should not be allowed to do so unless it is
> superuser.  Similar behavior is not allowed in HDFS.  Please comment if you
> disagree.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FALCON-1340
>
> Thanks
> Balu Velalnki