Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Johan Oskarsson <jo...@oskarsson.nu> on 2008/12/04 18:31:45 UTC

Hive IRC channel?

Hi.

I find IRC to be a very convenient way to communicate with others
interested in an open source project.
Would people be interested in joining ##hive on irc.freenode.net? This
is the IRC network where #hadoop and #hbase lives.

Unfortunately the #hive channel is already occupied (by two inactive
persons).
Of course IRC isn't a substitute for having discussions on a mailing
list, but it is a very good complement.

/Johan

RE: Hive IRC channel?

Posted by Ashish Thusoo <at...@facebook.com>.
I suppose we can give it a shot if it has worked well for hadoop...

Regarding emails, we should try not to have any private conversations and use hive-dev and hive-users to carry out discussions. I think this is mostly true and the few JIRAs that may have suffered from private conversations are very few..

Will start using the irc chat room to alleviate some of Johan's loneliness there :)  Lets see how this works..

Ashish

________________________________
From: Johan Oskarsson <jo...@oskarsson.nu>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:49:21 -0800
To: <hi...@hadoop.apache.org>

That is a valid concern, but looking at the Hadoop irc channel it has
worked quite well. It is mostly used for support and general chat about
the project.

Most open source projects have some discussions done offline, via
private email or something like irc. As long as it's clear that any
decision making discussions should be done in the correct channels
(mailinglist/jira) it shouldn't be a problem.

/Johan

Re: Hive IRC channel?

Posted by Prasad Chakka <pr...@facebook.com>.

From: Johan Oskarsson <jo...@oskarsson.nu>